cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

887VAW 802 lightweight to Autonomous

Phil Curwood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I've managed to 'upgrade' the onboard 802 AP to lightweight in error but cannot find a way to 'downgrade' it back to autonomous mode. I've read various threads but none of then work for me. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks Robbie.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hi guys, I've managed to 'upgrade' the onboard 802 AP to lightweight in error but cannot find a way to 'downgrade' it back to autonomous mode.

On the router, enter the command "service-module wlan-ap 0 bootimage autonomous".

Phil Curwood
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks for the quick reply. I've previously seen this command in other articles however this isn't available to run on my device. 'service-module wlan-ap 0 .....' Is available in enable mode but not on global config mode. If you have any other pointers that would be great.

That is correct.  You enter this command in global configuration mode.

Sorry, you misunderstand, this command is NOT available in global config mode.

Phil Curwood
Level 1
Level 1

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Note In some LWAPP deployments, the LWAPP controller resides between the access points and the rest of the network. In this topology, all traffic must cross over the controller before communication with network resources, such as a TFTP server, can occur. When converting back to non-LWAPP IOS with an access point that is no longer using the LWAPP protocol, traffic does not cross over the controller to reach the TFTP server.

Note The lightweight 1300 series access points can only be converted back to autonomous mode using a wireless LAN controller.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card