cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

a controller is not assigning IP addresses

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2000 wireless controller in Europe that supports several API's....The customers are able to see the wireless network, however no IP address would be dished out to them. In looking at the controller config in WCS, I noticed that the DHCP scope has not been configured. Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You have to configure either an external DHCP server or configure 2006 controller as an internal DHCP server.

Have a look at this link which will guide you how to configure DHCP server on controller

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig41/c41wlan.htm#wp1108097

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks for your response...The external DHCP server is configured for both the mgmt & the AP interfaces...Could the problem be that the controller does not relay the addresses to the clients? Also, as I was asking in my previous posting, does the DHCP scope still have to be configured on the controller if it's not acting as the DHCP server?

thanks again

Hi Friend,

If you already have your external DHCP servers configured you do not need to configure internal DHCP server.

I believe you might have alreday configured primary DHCP server ip address under management and ap interfaces configuration page.

Also can you ping your dhcp server from your controller?

Regards,

Ankur

Yes, I can ping the dhcp server from the controller...However, whe I logged in to the controller, I saw the following message: "Tue May 22 12:20:14 2007 WEP Key decrypt error. Station MAC Address is ...."...Does this mean they're not using the right security key on their wireless devices?...Thanks.

rupert.wever
Level 1
Level 1

I see this as a common symptom, and one of the typical issues is the WLAN configuration:

#1 - Are you mapping it to the desired interface?

#2 - Have you tested w/o any security enabled?

Cheers!

Yes, to the first question, no to the second. In fact, when I accessed their controller, I saw the following error msg: "Tue May 22 12:20:14 2007 WEP Key decrypt error. Station MAC Address is ....", so it may just be a matter of them not using the proper key on their wireless devices...Thanks.

That is certainly a possibility. Can you tested without encryption (open)?

You mean, just disable WEP?

Thanks

That's the easiest way to test your setup, provided you do not leave it opened. If it works you do indeed have missmatched WEP keys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card