Views
Helpful
Replies

access point channel config

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I have 5 access points and want to configure channel and its frequencies...

what should be the channel frequency and its operating mode so that user would get bestpossible results??

I am facing some wifi fluctuation problems

I have set frequency channel to auto

operating mode to mixed

channel bandwidth 20

I am using trendnet 638AP

please help

8 Replies 8

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

wireless mode is 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n mixed mode..

Well this is a Cisco forum and not knowing the product you have makes it difficult to give you an answer. All I can say is make sure your APs use only channel 1, 6, and 11.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ok thanks,

if i keep channel 1 only all over the facility, will it work then?

It could but then every client would be contending for the same media. Wireless is essentially a half duplex hub, and a client can't transmit if it detects every in the channel it is trying to use.

As Scott said, we use 1,6,11 fur wireless as they don't overlap and allow you to have more clients able to transmit at he same time.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

hi stephen,

I dont understand ur explanation...

I f i keep channel 1 only, then it will overlap??

Think of it like a classroom.  We'll call the students channel 1.

So when a student is talking, no one else should be talking, so that he/she can say what the need to.  Now a step further, if all the children are trying to talk at the same time, no one can hear what anyone else is trying to say, the all interfer with each other.

Now, you have three children, 1(spanish),6(english), and 11(french).  Now each of these are speaking to their translator.  Because they are different, they can all speak at the same time withouth inteferring with each other.

An odd analogy, but does it make sense?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

dear stephen,

it perfectly made sense..

Thank you very much

hi stephen,

need ur help again...

These non cisco APs i have have put among 1242ag APs where there is low wifi.

I have adjusted non cisco's ap channel config to non overlapping; even then i am getting fluctuating signals in some areas..

what should i do??

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card