Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point Coverage Area

biplobkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want buy an Access point which cover 300 Meter coverage Area.

Have any data sheet or link where I can found which AP coverage how many Area, Like 1042 Access Point cover how many Feet Space.

Please Help.

Regards

Iqbal

8 Replies 8

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

Coverage depends on so many factors that there is no way to say it will always have X square root coverage.

You could see anywhere from 2500sqft to 5000sqft. Just depends again on RF environment, data rate requirements, SNR requirements, etc.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want buy an Access point which cover 300 Meter coverage Area.

There is no single-unit WAP that can cover this area.

Just what are you trying to do?

Hi

Thanks. Its office space 300 meter. so please suggest which model of AP Can I choose ?

1040,1140 or 1240 series AP ??

Regards

Iqbal

Depends on what you want.  1130 and 1240 are only a/b/g while 1040, 1140, 1260 are a/b/g/n.  3500 and 3600 support 802.11n PLUS CleanAir.

Cisco Access Points

No matter what ap you choose, you will need quite a few of them. Have a site survey done as that will only be the way to really know how many and where to place them.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Salam Iqbal,

You need to do a site survey to be able to determine number of access points needed.

Site survey needs to take in consideration many factors including (but not limited to):

- Number of users per access point.

- Data rates needed for users.

- Services users use (data, voice....etc).

For site survey FAQ document from cisco you can read this: http://tiny.cc/d6fhcw

Good luck.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

HI

Salam to you also Amjad and Thanks to others.

You all are right but I have a basic Question , If space is open and I put up Cisco AP ( internal Anteena ) or SMB AP and One Laptop user then surronding how many feet distance cover ?

Another is If there is External Antenn 2 Db and Increease the Db then propotional increase the area ?

without site survey ,Have any just idea the data that in general case AP Support 100 feet or 200 feet or 300 feet ?

Thanks

Iqbal

I would tell you about my experience with an AP with external antenna 2.2 dbi:

It covers about 50+ meters (about 160 feets) in free space with acceptable coverage. You may also still get weak signal when you go further than that but it is not reliable and could get disconnected at any time.

in a cubig zone the AP could be reachable up to 30 meters ( about 100 feets) only [more or less depending on furniture and material there].

It also depends on the transmission power level at which your AP broadcasts the signal. In my prevoius explanation the highest power level is assumed.

HTH,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card