Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Access point doing 802.11ac in autonomous mode ?

Hi,

I currently have a couple 1131AG in a few different locations here and I'd like to start replacing them with newer models and I'd like one that supports 802.11ac

But so far I couldn't find any that I was sure would work in autonomous mode. Only the 3700 series seems to support 802.11ac AFAICT and I can only find "controller based" version of these (even though there see to be some autonomous fw in the download area).

So do these support autonomous mode ? Is there any other option ? (like an upcoming 1700 series that would be the current 1600 series but with 802.11ac ?).

Cheers,

Sylvain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

As long as you have service

As long as you have service contract with Cisco you can download "Autonomous Image" for 3700 & you can convert it to Autonomous AP. So you can use 802.11ac in autonomous mode. Below thread may be related on this topic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12085496/aironet-3700-how-do-i-get-ac

You need to ensure 3700 will get 18w (PoE+) if you powering from a switch  in order to get full 4x4:3 capability. Also connect the AP only to 1Gbps switchports

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

As long as you have service

As long as you have service contract with Cisco you can download "Autonomous Image" for 3700 & you can convert it to Autonomous AP. So you can use 802.11ac in autonomous mode. Below thread may be related on this topic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12085496/aironet-3700-how-do-i-get-ac

You need to ensure 3700 will get 18w (PoE+) if you powering from a switch  in order to get full 4x4:3 capability. Also connect the AP only to 1Gbps switchports

HTH

Rasika

Ok, so if I get the "AIR

Ok, so if I get the "AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9-MESH-RAIL-R?BDL" from my provider (the only order code for the 3700 series I could find at my dealer), and get a SMART{Net,Care} for it, I should be able to download ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB4.tar  and install it on it and then use the access point on its own, without controller and with full functionality ?

Did I understand that right ?

VIP Purple

AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9 ( Local

AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9 ( Local mode AP & not mesh mode) is the part number you should purchase with Smartnet support. Then you should be able to download the autonomous image you mentioned & convert the AP to Autonomous. This post may help you on that

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

If you are purchasing via a partner make sure your requirement is clearly explain to them, otherwise you may not able to get what you want.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I could only see those two

I could only see those two order codes in my provider web interface :

AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9-MESH-RAIL-R?BDL
AIR-CAP3702E-E-K9-BRACKET-RAIL?BDL

And given their difference, I thought that the part after the -K9 was just the hardware mounting options. I might have to email them to confirm.

Another question though : In another topic, you mentionned the 3700 in autonomous mode was not full featured and was just for "site survey" ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12053331/cisco-aironet-3702i-channel-size-issue ).

I know this comment was for version 15.2(4)jB3a and now there is a 15.2(4)jB4 version. Although the latest release notes are not as explicit, they still say "3700 (site-survey only)" in the supported hw list. But OTOH it wouldn't be the first time there is a cut&paste error in cisco's documentation from earlier doc ...

So is this latest released full featured ? Will I be able to use it as a normal access point to serve client ?

VIP Purple

It was my understanding when

It was my understanding when responding to mentioned thread by you. But after that I realized 11ac is properly working later releases (based on the thread I have given to you in my first response)

Typically if you are able to get wireless client to work in 11ac data rates, that mean you have working wireless setup. In autonomos not many other features like controller based. So you are safe in that regards.

But if you need official answer, you may need to talk to Cisco TAC or AM

HTH

Rasika

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content