Last night I was performing mainteance on access points throughout the network. I was converting them from Local to H-REAP to allow for vlan support. The maintenance went well however afterwards I've noticed access points are not showing up in CDP neighbor and with a "show power inline" the access points shows as a IEEE PD. This is causing some weird issues where a client can connect but then will lose it's DHCP address. The problem happened on 9 of the 12 floors that I did this on and there is no configuration differences and bouncing the access points did not resolve the issue. The access points do show a blue light.
Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so what did you do to fix it?
I have a mix of 1131 and 1142N access points on a 4402 WLC running version 188.8.131.52.
The only time I have ran into that issue is when cabling was bad... Either the run or the patch cable. When I saw the power as IEEE I also noticed that the AP and switch didn't negotiate correctly. Another time I ran into that issue was when the switch couldnt power all the poe devices.
Sent from my iPhone
This is happening on multiple floors. It would be very odd for all those cables to have gone bad.
The ports are an access port.
If you are looking for multiple vlan support can you change the ports to trunk with native vlan as the management
I'm more concerned that the access points aren't being seen correctly by the switch and I believe it's not handling the traffic correctly. At this time I don't need multiple vlan support.
Move one of the AP's to the switch directly to test.
Sent from my iPhone
Sry, missed the part that there is no change in configurations,
How are you bouncing the AP, shutting down the switch port of the resetting from the WLC
The maintenance went well however afterwards I've noticed access points are not showing up in CDP neighbor and with a "show power inline" the access points shows as a IEEE PD.
I see all the time.
"sh cdp neigh" shows nothing and "sh power inline" shows the port connected to the WAP as "IEEE". This is mostly caused by faulty cabling. If you have the right Cisco switch, you can test the cable using the in-built TDR feature.
Here's how you do it:
1. Command: test cable tdr interface
2. Wait for about 5 to 7 seconds;
3. Command: sh cable tdr interface
4. Please post the complete output.
figured out the problem. Needed to make the switch port a trunk and change the native vlan. Thanks all for the input
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App