cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing and setting up Aironet as AP

mknabster1
Level 1
Level 1

HI all, I have a Cisco Aironet 1200 AP I bought at a computer auction, and I have been meaning to learn how to use it, but i haven't had the oppurtunity to until now. The wireless coverage in my house is lackluster, so I wanted to try getting this setup to see if it works, before I purchase a new router. So I currently have it connected to a switch upstairs, and the COM port to my main tower. I have seen that there are 2 ways to log into the unit, either via CLI or GUI, so I was wondering how is the best way to get into it. Also, I would appreciate soem help in trying to get it setup to fit my needs. Thanks for your time

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Typically the console is the easiest but that depends if you have a console cable or not. The GUI is the other way. You might have to default the configuration, but I don't know if that was already done. Here is a guide to the 1200 which has the info you need.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/vxworks/configuration/guide/bkscgprf.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just in case, here is a link to a section for configuration examples for the 1200. You only need to look at the Autonomous section.

Note that a console cable will help if there is trouble connecting to the AP. This can also help us know what needs to be done.

-Scott

Thanks for your response Scott, so I read the Radio Config and Basic Settings page in that link you sent, and I'm trying to find out if this has the GUI configured or not. Do i use the 10.0.0.1 IP to log into it form my computer, or another IP? I do have the serial cable for the unit too, have Putty installed as well, so i do see the settings on the "Using the Management Interfaces" page to use in that. I have logged onto it via CLI before, but i was alittle bit lost in setting it up before, but then i didn't have the need for it like i do now, so i'm a bit mroe dedicated to get it working this time around.

10.0.0.1 is the default address as long as the Ap didn't get a dhcp address or else you would have to find that IP out. So your computer would have to have a 10.0.0.2-244 255.25.255.0 address.

-Scott

Ok, my router has assigned it an IP, so it's 192.168.1.7. When I try to go into that, it's asking for login info, what should I put in for the username and password?

It also says "level 15 access" on it. I see there is no default logins on Cisco's site, does that mean it wasn't properly reset before it was sold? I guess i need to do that via CLI?

if it has default username/password then cisco/Cisco should work. Enable password also Cisco.

Best if you could console in or telnet/ssh & see it has Autonomous Image (like k9w7 in it, not k9w8). If it has a autonomous code using "show version" command. Then you can configure it for a PSK (Presahred Key) SSID simply like below. If WPA version 2 is not supported, then just configure wpa under SSID (without version 2 keyword) & encrypton mode cipher tkip instead of aes-ccm.

hostname

!

dot11 ssid

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii

!

interface Dot11Radio0

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface Dot11Radio1

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp

If it has k9w8 or Lighthweigth image, then you need to convert it to Autonomous, to do that you should have a autonomus image & then you can follow this post, how to do this conversion.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Looks like Cisco/Cisco worked for username/password. Now what settings should i be using to set it up so that devices can connect to it? I think i would like to sue it as an AP because i need better coverage for wireless devices, but i still want those devices to have access to the LAN, rather than being on a separate one like my last experience was.

Can you telnet into AP using 192.168.1.7 IP using cisco/Cisco credentials. Go to enable mode & type "show version" & post that output. Then we can determine whether it is Autonomous or Lightweight & you can configure the AP using the CLI commands I provided earlier.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful respones *****

Here is the 1200 reference guide. Hopefully the AP is autonomous and not VXworks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43frst.html

-Scott

How can I tell the difference between autonomouse and VXworks?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you get into the AP, if the AP is VXworks, it will look like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/vxworks/configuration/guide/bkscgch2.html#wp1018279

-Scott

Ok, I might be logging in the incorrect way then, because I see the GUI, so the Cisco IOS i believe. When i go into System Upgrade, it says the version of software is 12.3(8)JEC. I am not at home so i have been doing this thorugh teamviewer on another machine, so not the one which has the com port plugged into the unit. If i need to do CLI, it won't be for a little while, but since I can get into the GUI, do i need to CLI?

CLI is the easiest & fastest way of configuring an autonomous AP .

It is easiest way to us aswell to tell you how to configure a feature on it, rather explaining it how to do it using GUI by attaching screenshots

Rasika

If you have GUI access then your fine. You always can telnet to the ap also for the CLI. Here is the release notes for that code

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg2410b-preface.html

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card