Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Adding a VLAN to a trunk for a WiSM1 question

I came across something today I thought was a bit odd.  When adding a VLAN to a trunk in a core switch for the WiSM module, the command is slightly different than the usual “add” command.

The following two commands:

wism module 2 controller 1 allowed-vlan 2347

wism module 2 controller 2 allowed-vlan 2347

Result in the following configuration.  There’s no “add”…

wism module 2 controller 1 allowed-vlan 101,102,778,2347

wism module 2 controller 2 allowed-vlan 101,102,778,2347

Here’s the lack of “add”…

My_Core_Switch(config)#wism module 2 controller 1 allowed-vlan ?

WORD  vlan range 1-1001,1006-4094

What I found strange was the fact that issuing the command for wism module 2 controller 1 (to add VLAN 2347) on the switch resulted in a missed ping  from my workstation  to the management IP of the controller.  Before making this change, I started a continuous ping from my wired workstation to the WLAN controller.  This has never been the case when using the normal “add” command when adding a VLAN to a trunk to a 4404 or 5508 WLAN controller.

The problem is when entering the command for the second module  "wism module 2 controller 2 allowed-vlan 2347".   The second module lost 25 of the continuous pings.  I was able to replicate this on the backup WiSM farm.  Same exact behavior.  My test workstation on Wi-Fi lost connectivity for almost two minutes.  I assume the trunk to the WLAN controller went down.

I didn’t see anything in the switch's logs about the interface going up and down in the switch.  However, I did look at the logs in the WLAN controller and it showed that it definitely took the trunk down for 90 seconds or so – depending how you look at the traps and interpret them.

Views
Helpful
Replies