Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Adding Cisco Aironet 1600 Standalone to ASA 5505

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to add Wifi access to my network, and before making the purchase, I would like to know if it's possible to do what I want to with the equipments I'm planning to get.

Currently I have a Cisco ASA 5505 with base license.

I'm planning to buy three Cisco Aironet 1600 standalone version. One of them will be plugged directly into one of the two POE ports on the ASA 5505, and I'm planning to set up the other two Aironet 1600 APs as repeaters.

With just these equipments and my base license on the ASA 5505, would I be able to create two SSIDs: one for guests using the ASA's DHCP server, and one for staffs using a Windows 2008 R2 DHCP server that's already on the network?

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

No, that won't work as you

No, that won't work as you want. For your two WLANs/SSIDs you need two VLans, one for each SSID. But the 5505 with the base-license doesn't support trunks, so you can't use VLans on the AP that connects to the 5505.

What you could do:

1. Upgrade the ASA to SecurityPlus.
  2. Connect the AP to a trunk-port on a managed switch and connect that switch with multiple links to the ASA where you use one link per Vlan.
Community Member

Thank you Karsten. That was

Thank you Karsten. That was very helpful. I appreciate your help.

Adding Cisco Aironet 1600

Adding Cisco Aironet 1600 Standalone to ASA 5505

Yes, upgared the ASA and then

Yes, upgared the ASA and then you will be able to create two SSIDs: one for guests using the ASA''s DHCP server, and one for staffs using a Windows 2008 R2 DHCP server that''s already on the network

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content