Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Advice on 2106 WLC and 1130 APs

I purchased a 2106 series controller for a client to manage (for now) a pair of 1131 APs.  Primary goal is just to allow them roaming capabilities.

I've been reading through quite a bit of documentation and I'm confused by all the interfaces.  They have no need for multiple VLANs and I don't manage their DHCP server, so I'd prefer to not have to create additionals scopes for WLAN clients.

I can't seem to find any documentation that discusses setting this up on a flat single VLAN network.  Ideally, I'd just like to connect the two APs to the PoE ports.

From what I've read, I've gotten the impression that I need the following interface at minimum:

Management Interface

AP-Manager Interface

Dynamic Interface

Is this correct?  If so, can I have all three on the same VLAN and if so, how do I set up the physical port assignment?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

• Getting Started with Wireless
3 REPLIES

Re: Advice on 2106 WLC and 1130 APs

Anyone?

Yes, You do need at least the following interfaces:

- Management.

- AP-manager.

- Virtual interface.

- One dynamic interface: This one highly recommended but not necessary.

When you configure the management, ap-manager and dynamic ports (Controller // interfaces), you have a box when you can map the physical port you want to use to the confgured port; you must use the port number you want to use to assign it to the interface.

When you do this, make sure you connect the WLC port to the Swtivh port that is correctly configured (802,1q trunk port with the vlan ID you assigned to each interface)

Best Regards.

Raul,

First off, thanks for responding!

I may not have been clear enough in my first email though, so let me clarify a few points.

1. I want to keep a single vlan for all interfaces and use the same DHCP scope for the WiFi clients as the wired clients.
  2. This is a fairly small implementation- one 2106 and a pair of 1130AG APs.

As mentioned previously, the only reason I suggested the controller is for roaming capabilities between APs.  I'm trying to convince them to pick up a 3rd AP as well, but that would most likely be connected directly to the 2106, same as the other APs.

Will this work or am I required to use multiple VLANs?  I can't find any documentation that says it's required, but I have found notes that 'highly suggest' separate VLANs for the WiFi clients.  This would indicate it's not required, but I can't find any configuration examples of what I'm proposing.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.