Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

AIR AP-1242G-A-K9 v03

I did a site survey today using one AIR AP-1242G-A-K9 v03 box with Antenna (8dBi forgot the model) to 9 rooms in a building. These conference rooms were situated at the edge of the building 6 in ground floor and 3 at the second level. Two rooms are typically small.

I found out there, that their requirements are tough that no wireless signal should come escape outside the building so that when a site survey is done outside the building, no wireless signal should be seen.

Questions:

1. Is the requirement above possible? They are talking about one directional antenna? Is this solution available?

2. If so, what antenna model is this that does and only burst its signal in one direction at a specific angle?

3. If there is, can this angle be adjusted via web management of the AP?

4. I find it hard setting WPA/WPA2 PSK via web, is there any simpler steps available somewhere in the web?

5. If no external antenna is not installed to the AP, what is typical strength of this AP? or should an antenna be required for this no matter how small is the room?

6. Is there any available simpler steps in manipulating the power settings of AP so that range and signal power can be adjusted?

7. Is there a document that shows what and how much angle (drawings) wireless signal extends to a specified available 2.4GHz antenna?

Any information would really help me.

Thank you.

12 REPLIES
Silver

Re: AIR AP-1242G-A-K9 v03

1 - 3. No, this would be a theoretically perfect antenna. It sadly doesn't exist in real life :)

Your clients have two options. They can either drop the requirement and rely on solid wireless security for protection, or they can pay out the wazoo and have you install 25-30 APs all at the lowest power level, and hopefully the exterior walls will absorb most of the signal.

4. No, it's a pain to configure via Web. Try to learn CLI if possible. It's a pain to learn, but it's makes configurations easy once you know it. WPA configuration was the reason I forced myself to learn CLI.

5. The 1240AG requires antennas. Though the antenna connectors do operate as tiny antennas themselves (you'll see signal strength if you stand near the AP), they do not broadcast sufficiently for client connectivity.

6. I'm not sure what you mean by "easier". You can manually adjust the power settings to your liking in both CLI and GUI.

7. Try these sites:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Community Member

Thank you jeff.kish, these really help me start. I tried Mr. Google and couldn't find any nice and straight forward documents regarding Wireless settings via CLI. If you provide one, would really be appreciated if you can put here.

Thanks again.

Silver

Try this site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6521/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Several documents are listed for various IOS versions. They're largely all the same, so just use the most recent one if you just want to learn general tips. The nice thing about these documents is that they all explain a concept, and then they show how to configure it in both HTTP and CLI.

Best of luck!

Community Member
Community Member

Hi Brother's,i want to delete

Hi Brother's,

i want to delete files from the flash of AP.can any one help me.

Below are the files highlighted in red.

ap: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2    -rwx  282       <date>               info
3    -rwx  136       <date>               env_vars
37   drwx  2176      <date>               ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA1
4    -rwx  63        <date>               mesh_cfg.txt
5    -rwx  85        <date>               mesh_port_cfg.txt
6    drwx  384       <date>               ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB
7    drwx  320       <date>               ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JBB

8    drwx  0         <date>               configs
271  -rwx  6168      <date>               private-multiple-fs

7950848 bytes available (24047104 bytes used)
ap:

is there any command or something to remove this.

Actually i was trying to convert this AP from controller based to standalone.and while file transfer it got stopped due to some error.Now again i am trying to upload file is show's no enough space message.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Try this from the cli:delete

Try this from the cli:

delete /recursive /force flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB

delete /recursive /force flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JBB

This will delete the directory and the files in the directory.

-Scott

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/56156/access-point-rommon-recovery-ap-prompt-recovery-example#comment-10505551

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Green

Do these conference rooms have windows?

What are the exterior walls composed of?

It is possible to produce a room-filling signal from one direction with sector or "patch" antennas and power settings, reflection from the opposite walls becomes the trick, especially with only glass to prevent leakage.

The radiation angle of a common antenna, sector or otherwise, is controlled by the physical configuration of the elements, so adjustment via software is not possible.

There is a class of antennas, active panels / phased arrays that are software configurable, though I haven't personally played with them.

As for point #7, every antenna Cisco and other commercial vendors sell are accompanied by (at least) a pair "Smith Charts" that describe the pattern of the antenna as viewed from the "top" (lateral / azimuth) and from the side (elevation).

The charts don't give distance per se, they give gain in dBm (deciBells referenced against a milliwatt). to indicate the pattern. From those diagrams you can anticipate general directionality, from other environmental features you can anticipate (in *VERY* general terms), what kind of power you'll need to accommodate coverage.

The quickest rule of thumb I can give you to pass along to your customer is "You can solve any problem with a sufficient amount of CASH"

You can absolutely prevent leakage to the outside; it'll cost more in design, testing, and antennas. How much more is variable with the environment and the skills of the people designing, installing, and maintaining the equipment.

Good Luck

Scott

Community Member

Thank you for these information Scott.

Blue

Hi:

To answer your 5th question, you should never transmit without an antenna. This will create what is called a high VSWR - Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (Reverse Power) and blow out your APs power amp.

A directional antenna may indeed fulfill your clients requirement regarding outdoor bleedover. They create a tighter RF beam, which may not bleed over to the outside. You may want to look into the AIR-ANT-2485P-R or Yagi directional antennas. They do have some rear radiation leakage, but its minimal.

HTH

Victor

Community Member

Noted.

Thanks Victor.

Community Member

Hi Brother's,i want to delete

Hi Brother's,

i want to delete files from the flash of AP.can any one help me.

Below are the files highlighted in red.

ap: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2    -rwx  282       <date>               info
3    -rwx  136       <date>               env_vars
37   drwx  2176      <date>               ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA1
4    -rwx  63        <date>               mesh_cfg.txt
5    -rwx  85        <date>               mesh_port_cfg.txt
6    drwx  384       <date>               ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB
7    drwx  320       <date>               ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JBB

8    drwx  0         <date>               configs
271  -rwx  6168      <date>               private-multiple-fs

7950848 bytes available (24047104 bytes used)
ap:

is there any command or something to remove this.

Actually i was trying to convert this AP from controller based to standalone.and while file transfer it got stopped due to some error.Now again i am trying to upload file is show's no enough space message.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/56156/access-point-rommon-recovery-ap-prompt-recovery-example#comment-10505361

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Try this from the cli:delete

Try this from the cli:

delete /recursive /force flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JAB

delete /recursive /force flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JBB

This will delete the directory and the files in the directory.

-Scott

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/56156/access-point-rommon-recovery-ap-prompt-recovery-example#comment-10505551

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content