Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Air AP-350: how to set up 2 devices in 2vbuildings for seamless use?

We have two offices which face each other across a road. Each office has a 350 installed on a switch in each building. The buildings are connected by a fibre line so that users can access corporate resources via wire ethernet.

We added wireless connectivity using the cisco ap-350. I set up each 350 on different radio channels and with different ssids. Everything works fine. I set up a Toshiba notebook and configured both settings. I can readily switch configurations using the Toshiba LAN Wireless Configuration utility. Let's say the ssids are A and B which also reflect the building names. So channel A in building A has 100% signal strength but only 50% signal strength if I switch to channel B in building A, since it is using the ap 350 in building B across the street.

So, I started thinking: could I set each ap350 to the same channel and ssid so that users would not have to switch their configurations when they crossed the street. When I did this, the notebook would always default to the ap350 at building A when I was in building B.

Is there a way to set up my scenario so that the notebooks will always pull from the nearest ap350 given that both have a common ssid and channel?

2 REPLIES

Re: Air AP-350: how to set up 2 devices in 2vbuildings for seaml

Make the SSIDs same and put the APs on two non-overlapping channels ( 1,6, 11).

The play with the AP Radio hardware --> Max. Data Retries(1-128) on both both side the AP and the client ( if its ther in the toshiba client utility). If the number is low for example say 10 tries. The client/Ap will try 10 time to snd/recv data before it switches over to the other AP with stronger signal.

If you dont want to make the SSID same, you could use diffrent for eash building and put the 2 SSID's the Client Utility. The Client utiliy provided by Cisco allows 3 SSIDs. Check if you can do the same in toshiba WLAN utility.

Re: Air AP-350: how to set up 2 devices in 2vbuildings for seaml

Thank you,

This works wonderfully. Yes, same ssids (and wep) and different radio channels. I then configured the Toshiba Wireless Clients (in the Admin tab) so that the distance between access points was "Small". I set the Max Data Retries to 10 (from the default 32) and ... instant pudding. Everything works! I walk from building A to building B and the wireless client switches to building B's 350ap pronto.

Many thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content