cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 deployment question

rotran
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need to deploy wireless in the auditorium to support up to 100+ users.

I understand that Cisco doesn't recommend more than 25 clients per AP but how can I control the spread of how clients associate with the AP?

Also, so does this mean I should deploy 4 APs to support 25 clients per AP? and even then, how would I limit the number of clients per AP?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

14 Replies 14

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

You could use the max-associations command under the SSID to limit how many clients could associate per AP.

Ok, I will definitely try that. If I am planning to deploy 4 APs, will I run into a problem because I understand that the channels used should be 1,6, and 11. If I choose a duplicate channel for the 4th AP, will this break anything?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a WLC, I recommend you do not toy with the Dynamic Channel Assignment. I mean, that's what the WLC is there for: Plug-and-Play.

Thanks for the response Leo, but I still am a bit unclear. If I am deploying 4 APs, one on channel 1, another on 6 and another on 11, what channel should the remaining AP be on without causing any interference? Remember that this is all in a small auditorium with the need to support 100+ users.

To combat max user per AP you can enable aggressive load balancing by going to Controller->General->Aggressive LB->Enable

this will only take effect during association so clients will not be kicked off one AP unless they re-associate.

If you are in a small open plan area, as Leo said RRM will take care of channel planning and interference management. I would also advise that you disable 802.11b rates, this will decrease the size of the cell stopping clients from one end of the auditorium connecting to an AP at the oter end of the room at 1,2,5.5,11Mbps therefore reducing the performance of the deployment. Depending on the overall size of the room, I would even disable some lower .11g rates.

Cheers

Mat

Great thread here. In regard to the WLC and the aggressive load balancing. Have any of you enabled this type of configuration on the wireless controller in the SBCS system?

SKU: AIR-WLC526-K9

I assume this device has the same or close to the same features as traditional WLC ?

I am sorry for the double reply but I had one follow up question/comment.

Given the original poster's environment question in regard to channel distribution. I understand that as long as you have proper channel seperation 1,6,11 you can place at least three WAPS running, each running these channels, as close as you want in a cell. This would be with no controller involved, just "heavy" waps in use working away.

Or am I way off ? :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's just it. You already deploying your LAPs with WLC. Why do you want to go into such lengths to assign each LAPs the channel they will be operating when the WLC can do it for you automatically?

Install the LAPs, let them join the WLC and walk away. :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you really want to manually adjust the signal strenths and channel assignment of each AP's then you need to downgrade your AP's to run Autonomous IOS. In LWAP image, RRM and DCA affects ALL APs.

If you want to set individual AP's to run seperately to RRM so you can be more granular, go into Wireless->AP's->802.11g->Configure and set the channel assignment and TX power to custom.

Whoopsie! I stand corrected. Thanks Matt!

I am looking through my WLSE and can not find where to do this. I am assuming a WLC and WLSE are different?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Grrrrrrrrrreat! I mis-read your issue. :P

Do you have a WLC or WLSE?

WLSE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: