cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1262N-A-K9 Help!

SGonyea6200
Level 1
Level 1

We are upgrading the way we update our inventory by using handheld scanners running windows mobile 6.   The company supplying these suggested we use the AIR-AP1262N-A-K9 access point for the area that these handhelds are used in.    I've setup tons of access points before, including the existing ones in this building.   I found the interface of this access point to be a little overkill, but thats beside the point.   Basically i've set this access point up to broadcast the ssid and require an ASCII wpa password to join the network for security, really basic.  laptops and these handhelds can connect to it, but after 10 minutes the connection is lost.   It will continue to connect and reconnect constantly instead of just keeping the connection.   The strength is fine, literally within 10ft of the access point.    I was wondering if someone could either tell me whats going on or possible give me a simple configuration that i can use to give me simple broadcasted ssid with a WPA password?  thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Not all hand-helds like passwords.  Try OPEN authentication first.

2.  Have you tried enabling the lower rates of the 802.11b radio?

3.  Can you also try this command in both of your radios?  Command:  no dot11 extension aironet

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

Does a laptop have the same issue, or is it just the handhelds?  It's possible that the driver version on the handheld is a rev or two (or three) back from the current.  If it is, updating the driver and test, would be my first step in troubleshooting.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Laptop does it, smart phones do it. Doesn’t seem to matter what it is, it just won’t lock the connection.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Not all hand-helds like passwords.  Try OPEN authentication first.

2.  Have you tried enabling the lower rates of the 802.11b radio?

3.  Can you also try this command in both of your radios?  Command:  no dot11 extension aironet

I’ve actually tried that with the same result, and it’s also not limited to the handhelds, laptops, smart phones, etc. all do the same thing, the connection won’t stay locked. I have the AP set to throughput, which enables the entire radio range, are you suggesting I limit the range to the lower ones only?

Also,im using the web interface.  Im not real familiar with Cisco, so I honestly don't even know how to access the CLI to input that command.  is there a way to do it in the web interface?  I apologize for my Cisco ignorance.

It should be there under Network Interface > Radio 802.11 > Settings.
HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Turning off Aironet extensions worked.  thanks everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card