cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP 1231G-A-K9

Thomas Ley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of questions: I have a 161 AP,s most of which are AIR-LAP 1231G-A-K9 two 4400 WLC.

Some of these APs are using  AIR-ANT 1728 (2.4 GHz omidirectional 5.2 dBi)  and Mobile Mark OD9-240 (2-GHz omnidirectional  9 dBi) on the same access points. Some of my AP are PoE and some are using a power supply (at the AP) some are using both. Power level is set at 2 a radios are not enabled just the bg radios. I'm having issues: I need to tweak the APs (Power settings & Channel settings) so my clients (LXE VX6) can refresh faster.

Any suggestions?

PS I did'nt set this up. It was handed to me.              

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

All of the enabled APs have thier A radios disabled.

1231 don't have 802.11a radios.  You are using two type of antennaes (5 dBi and 9 dBi) in the SAME UNIT.

The only way to determine if you have proper signal is to walk around with a laptop and sniff out the signal.  If you have signal strength of about 65 to 75 dBi then this is good.  If your signal being received by the laptop is higher than 80 dBi then this is one of your problems.

Please check if all the data rates for 802.11b and 802.11g are enabled.

You may want to propose to management to upgrade your WAPs as they are old.  If they want something cheap (supports only 802.11 a/b/g) and with external antennas then 1240 is your option.  If you want internal antenna 1130 is still in the market.

If management want internal antenna and support 802.11 a/b/g/n then the cheapest model is the 1040.  The 1260 will support 802.11 a/b/g/n and requires antennas.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tweaking the power won't necessarily help the client refresh faster. Depending on what rate the client is connecting at, that could affect the refresh rate. If the clients are G and connecting at 54 already upping the power won't help. If your deployment doesn't have the proper overlap upping the power could cause more issues.

Are you able to see how many AP the device can see and at what rate it is connecting?

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

The clients are G and connecting @ 54. I'm not suire the deployment has the proper overlap, as alot of the APs radios are disabled: I'm think they were disabled because of interference. All of the enabled APs have thier A radios disabled. I'm thinking it could be 1) overlap 2) mismatch on channels 3) incorrect antennas.

The other issues are 1) clients are not authenticating to the nearest AP. 2) there is a ton of bleed over 3) there is a whole lot of rougue APs showing up on the WLC.

I can only seem to find one RF group.

Any suggestions?

Tom

All of the enabled APs have thier A radios disabled.

1231 don't have 802.11a radios.  You are using two type of antennaes (5 dBi and 9 dBi) in the SAME UNIT.

The only way to determine if you have proper signal is to walk around with a laptop and sniff out the signal.  If you have signal strength of about 65 to 75 dBi then this is good.  If your signal being received by the laptop is higher than 80 dBi then this is one of your problems.

Please check if all the data rates for 802.11b and 802.11g are enabled.

You may want to propose to management to upgrade your WAPs as they are old.  If they want something cheap (supports only 802.11 a/b/g) and with external antennas then 1240 is your option.  If you want internal antenna 1130 is still in the market.

If management want internal antenna and support 802.11 a/b/g/n then the cheapest model is the 1040.  The 1260 will support 802.11 a/b/g/n and requires antennas.

Thanks for your help. I have some 1240's Im working with now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: