Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 console CLI not working

I recently purchased a AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 AP, and have not been able to get the console function to work, at all.

Originally, I thought it may be because its a LAP, and as such needed to be accessed via a WAC. As such, I flashed the iOS to c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB3a, so it is now operating in autonomous mode.

After this was done, I was able to telnet into the AP, as DHCP was now enabled, and the AP picked up an IP from my DHCP server. I have then configured the AP, with difficulty (no console access makes things tricky!), but by uploading a completed config via TFTP to the AP, it is now all functioning.

But the console output still will not work. I was originally using a standard rollover cable, and read that the AP needs a different cable (AIR-CONCAB1200=) for the console function to work. So, I have obtained this exact cable, but I still have no console access. You get no output whatsoever.

I'm using puTTy to establish the serial connection, and the settings have all been setup as per Cisco's instructions. Please see below..

Baud Rate = 9600

Data Bits = 8

Stop Bits = 1

Parity = none

Flow Control = none

One thing I noticed was that when the AP is booting, and you "break" the console in Putty, you get about 1 seconds worth of output, and it then stops again. This, incidentally, was with the "normal" cisco console cable.

The AP was brand new, so I suspect I have a broken console port, but thought i'd put this out there, in case I may have missed anything. The lack of the console port isn't the end of the world, but when you pay for the best, you expect it all to function!

Thanks

• Getting Started with Wireless
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Try a different machine.  If

Try a different machine.  If the symptom is still the same, then you can return the AP to the vendor. 

Also, the console port is located in the LEFT-HAND side.  I've personally seen where the label plate was installed upside-down and the pointed the console port to be in the RIGHT-HAND side.

Thanks for your reply.I have

Thanks for your reply.

I have a bit more information.

I created an RJ45 - RJ45 Aux cable, and run it between my Cisco router and the AP, and this works fine, which would indicate the AP console port is working fine.

The only thing I can now think of is the USB - Serial adapter I have got is causing the issue, but having said that, console connections to all other routers and switches work absolutely fine. I will try the connection from a laptop as well, to see if the problem remains.

Tested connection from a

Tested connection from a totally separate Laptop, and the issue still occurs. As such, this leaves the Serial -> USB adapter, or the software that comes with it.

I am going to try an alternate adapter soon to see if this resolves the issue or not.

Views
Helpful
Replies