Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIR-LAP1242AG bandwidth issue

Good afternoon,

My name is Dave and my company has assigned me to fix an issue with the signal from a WLAN 5508 Controller to several ( maybe 12) AIR-LAP1242AG's in a warehouse location.

We are currently using a single 5 GHz anntenna but are looking into other options.

The issue we are having is the signal strength.  We are using Windows CE scan guns and the wireless is weak at best (even if you stand directly under the AP.

Since I am brand new to the job, I am unfamiliar with our topology but will do what I can to resolve this issue.  Could the issue be a combination of power, antenna strength and something in the controller perventing the signal from passing?

The ceilings in the warehouse rafters are between 25-30ft.    I will be happy to assist anyone that might be able to point us in the right direction.

I have yet to look into the AP's console but I wanted to get possibly a few ideas.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration in solving our issue.

Sincerely,

Dave P. 

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: AIR-LAP1242AG bandwidth issue

David,

There is your problem sir....  If you are infact using the AIR-ANT5135D-R which is an 802.11a antenna, then your issues is no antenna on the AP for the radio your using.

Noted here the specs say it is an 802.11b/g radio in the scanner which is 2.4Ghz.

Falcon 4420:

SAP Certified - Integration with SAP  Application

GS1 databar compatible

Microsoft Windows® CE 5.0 or Windows Mobile® 5.0  Operating Systems
802.11 b/g wireless local area networking CCX v 4  certified  <-------------------------------- See Here
XScale Microprocessor
128 MB RAM / 128 MB Flash  Memory
Bluetooth® wireless technology
Datalogic Management Utility (DMU)  and Datalogic Desktop Utility (DDU)

So you will need to add antennas to the 802.11b/g side and you can't use the existing antenna since they are frequency specific.

either 2 of this antenna -- AIR-ANT4941

or 1 of this antenna -- AIR-ANT24020V-R=

Hope this helps... Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Weak signals could mean alot of things.

1.  Are the APs installed suspended from the ceiling and the "Cisco" logo pointing to the floor?
2.  Are the 5Ghz antennae being used?  How many per unit?  Are they connected to the correct radio?  What type of antennaes?
3.  What are the walls of the warehouses made out of? 
4.  Are there any electric motors?
5.  Are the APs above or below the level of the shelves?
6.  Was a Wireless Site Survey conducted before and after the APs were installed?
7.  Is the WLC's Radio Resources Meter set to it's default level?

Thank you so much for your response.  Here are the answers to your questions.

1.  Are the APs installed suspended from the ceiling and the "Cisco" logo pointing to the floor? Yes
2.  Are the 5Ghz antennae being used? 
Yes How many per unit?  1 – 2

Are they connected to the correct radio?  Yes             What type of antennaes? AIR-ANT5135D-R
3.  What are the walls of the warehouses made out of? 
Concrete
4.  Are there any electric motors?
Just forklifts
5.  Are the APs above or below the level of the shelves?
Above
6.  Was a Wireless Site Survey conducted before and after the APs were installed? 
No
7.  Is the WLC's Radio Resources Meter set to it's default level?
????  We are not sure of this one yet. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much!

-Dave

Dave,

What type of WinCE Scanner? all the scanners I have seen are B or B/G only.. I have several clients running them but haven't seen one that is running 802.11a. if they are infact using 802.11a on the AP, but the client doesn't support it that could be why the signal is so weak, otherwise refer to Leoloahoo's thoughts.

Thanks,

Kayle,

Thank you for yoru assiatance.  Our scan guns are the Falcon 4420's

I am unsure of the version of Windows CE.   It is so odd that the siganl strength is so low.  I have no doubt it is somewhere in the configuration.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Dave

I take that back....here is the info you were looking for:

Falcon 4420:

GS1 databar compatible

802.11 b/g wireless local area networking CCX v 4  certified
XScale Microprocessor

-Dave

David,

There is your problem sir....  If you are infact using the AIR-ANT5135D-R which is an 802.11a antenna, then your issues is no antenna on the AP for the radio your using.

Noted here the specs say it is an 802.11b/g radio in the scanner which is 2.4Ghz.

Falcon 4420:

GS1 databar compatible

802.11 b/g wireless local area networking CCX v 4  certified  <-------------------------------- See Here
XScale Microprocessor

So you will need to add antennas to the 802.11b/g side and you can't use the existing antenna since they are frequency specific.

either 2 of this antenna -- AIR-ANT4941

or 1 of this antenna -- AIR-ANT24020V-R=

Hope this helps... Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

THANK YOU so much to both of you.  On behalf of the entire warehouse...THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The antennas were replaced and put on the CORRECT side of the AP and BOOM...we lit up like a Christmas tree!

Kayle...Thank you soo sooo much!   

Sincerely,

Dave P.

No problem... Been there done that... the answer is the result of years and years of supporting that type of device...

I am glad your issue was resolved.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content