Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Aironet 1040 Series Apple frequently drops

I'm running Cisco Aironnet 1040 series routers and all my Apple computers (NOT iPhones or iPads just the computers) continue to get dropped by the routers. The time ranges anywhere from less than a minute to an hour, depending how many clients are connected. I have no trouble at all with any mobile devices and none with non apple computers. This has been going on since we've bought them last year. I'm trying to use WPA authentication. I've read forums and places where you can use MAC authentication and the problem seems to go away. That's not an ideal option for as many clients as I have on the network. I've attempted to update the software, revert the software and reset to default. Nothing has made any difference at all. I've also tried changing the channel it broadcasts on, with no luck. I've double checked the firmware on the Apple computers and they are up to date. My configuration is below.....Any ideas on what I can change or do I need to pursue a different router that isn't Cisco?

show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1401 bytes

!

version 12.4

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname 3FN

!

logging rate-limit console 9

enable secret 5 $1$fMiK$UE/.aUuGGZiuvi17KWbPM0

!

no aaa new-model

!

!

dot11 syslog

!

dot11 ssid danielwpa

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

wpa-psk ascii 7 15435C5F517E7871793237

!        

!

!

username Cisco password 7 1531021F0725

username Admin privilege 15 password 7 06525C7442595A40

!

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

!

ssid danielwpa

!

antenna gain 0

channel 2437

station-role root

world-mode legacy

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface GigabitEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no keepalive

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface BVI1

ip address 10.1.0.154 255.0.0.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 10.0.0.1

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag

bridge 1 route ip

!

!

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login local

transport input all

!

end

7 REPLIES
Gold

Hi Josh,

It looks like you have enabled WPA2 with TKIP encryption.

It is recommented to use below combination.

If WPA used please use encryption as TKIP

If WPA2 is used please use the encryption as AES

So try modifying your configuration as below and verify if that helps.

conf t

int dot0

no encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion but that only seemed to make things worse. I had to change settings in order to get anything to connect at all after applying those changes.

Gold

Re: Aironet 1040 Series Apple frequently drops

Hi Josh,

That is sad to hear, have you treid the other combination (i mean wpa with TKIP alone) by removing wpa2. May be your devices have been configured with WPA/TKIP combination rather than WPA2/AES combination. Also you could remove  "world-mode legacy" from under int dot11 0 if you dont have clients devices from multiple countries connecting to it.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Community Member

I have tired several different combinations of security and haven't seen any difference in behavior.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Community Member

Going through the logs I see the MAC addresses of my computers that are disconnected with it saying:

*Mar 17 18:19:55.169: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 74e5.43cf.b184 reached max retries, removing the client

*Mar 17 18:19:55.175: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client c09f.4227.2cfc reached max retries, removing the client

*Mar 17 18:19:55.179: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 80c1.6e1c.ef26 reached max retries, removing the client

Not sure if that helps at all or not. I see plenty of logs showing my computer connecting just fine and moving from one AP to another but it appears to timeout (rather quickly I might add) and drop the connection. So it's obviously something with the router. I can always connect right back to the network without a problem. It doesn't ask for a password or anything.

Community Member

Sadly, we also encounter the exact same problem. All Apple devices seem to drop the Wi-Fi connection randomly and pretty frequently.

Any updates on this?

Community Member

I'm currently working with their tech support on this. I've got the lead engineer on it currently. After a month we have discovered it's an issue with the qos mode wmm. If you run the commands

Config t
Int d0
No dot11 qos mode

The problem of disconnecting goes away but so do the n rates. I'm honestly looking at disabling the wmm on all my routers for the time being and looking to go with a different wireless router. If we discover a true solution, I will update this thread.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content