cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1100 / 802.3af Power Over Ethernet (POE) Support

mkaufman99
Level 1
Level 1

I was under the impression that the Aironet 1100 supports 802.3af POE. I purchased a NetGear FS108P POE switch, however, when I plug in the 1100, it does not receive any power.

I have seen references in the documentation to a Cisco inline power injector and a Cisco Catalyst switch that can provide POE to the 1100 and maybe they will work, however, will the 1100 only work with those devices?? If so, it would seem that the 1100 really doesn't support the 802.3af standard and that Cisco's implementation of POE is proprietary.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

4 Replies 4

mkaufman99
Level 1
Level 1

Would the AIR-PWRINJ3(Power Injector for 1100 1200 Series) or AIR-PWR-A (Power Supply in 100-240VAC Out 48VD 380MA-for 1100 1200 Series) solve my problem? Would I need to purchase both units?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

As you have discovered (unfortunately) is that the 1100 only supports Cisco Pre-standard PoE :( Have a look;

Single 802.11g radio offering 54 Mbps of capacity

2.4 GHz integrated diversity dipole antennas

Available in an autonomous version only

16 MB of memory with 8 MB of storage

Operating temperature range of 32 to 104?F (0 to 40?C)

**Inline power support (Cisco pre-standard)**

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/prod_brochure0900aecd8035a015.html

The good news is that either of the options you listed will work just fine. I would go for the power injector probably just for neatness sake.

POWERING OPTIONS

The Cisco Aironet 1100 Series can be powered either locally using the AC-DC power adapter, or over the Ethernet cable when coupled with a device capable of delivering in-line power, such as an in-line power-capable Cisco Catalyst? switch, Catalyst in-line power patch panel, or Cisco Aironet Power Injector.

The AC-DC power adapter is included with the access point and can also be ordered as a spare part. The Cisco Aironet Power Injector can either be configured to the order or can be ordered separately.

You can use either;

AIR-PWR-A= Cisco Aironet Power Supply-Input 110-240VAC, Output 48VDC, 380 mA-for 1100 and 1200 Series

AIR-PWRINJ3= Cisco Aironet Power Injector for the 1100 and 1200 Series Access Points

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_data_sheet0900aecd8045690f.html

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Rob:

Thanks. Based on my research prior to your post, I came to the following conclusion:

- the AIR-PWRINJ3 is required as it supplies power (via network cable) to the Aironet 1100.

- the AIR-PWRINJ3 needs power provided to it and the options are either the AIR-PWR-A or the power supply which comes with the Aironet 1100. Since I have the Aironet power supply, I don't need the AIR-PWR-A.

The information on the Cisco site it very confusing, misleading and incomplete. When my power injector arrives, hopefully I'll have everything I need.

Now, will Cisco reimburse me for the 802.3af POE switch I bought which didn't work???

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry, I didn't explain this very well. Have a look at the diagram in the attched link. It shows the parts needed for the different power options. You are correct that with the power supply that shipped with the AP plus the power injector, you should be good to go!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008071fb6e.html#wp1035314

You are right about Cisco docs, you do have to do alot of research sometimes :(

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card