Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1140 series, authentication failure

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

Using an Aironet 1142 in our home and it works fine except that when i for example re-open my macbook air and/or android phone it sometimes has to reconnect to WiFi like 2 or 3 times before it actually is connected correct. I configured the 1140 with:

- One name for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

- Open authentication, WPA enabled, WPAv2

Already tried setting static channels and automatic, also tried to separate two different SSID (one for 2.4, one for 5) but doesnt seem to solve it.

I see this in the logs:

Station xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Authentication failed

That's it. Any idea why this happens a lot of times?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure if your using WPA v2 that you only have AES enabled and not TKIP. WPA v1 uses TKIP and WPA v2 uses AES.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure if your using WPA v2 that you only have AES enabled and not TKIP. WPA v1 uses TKIP and WPA v2 uses AES.

-Scott

I had it set to AES + TKIP and just put it to AES only, so hopefully that will fix it, thank you.

That should fix it. Let us know

-Scott

It seems to work better now, i only sometimes now see this:

Jul 23 16:59:01.923InformationInterface Dot11Radio0, Station xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Reassociated KEY_MGMT[WPAv2 PSK]
Jul 23 16:58:56.610InformationInterface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

Any idea how that is  possible? it should just stay connected.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that we have 2 Aironets in our house/garden?

They are waaaay far apart from eachother though. Or do i need to enable any specific feature for it to work better?
Already tried disabling aironet extensions, but that doesnt fix it.

I keep having the problem that sometimes devices get reconnected or take 3 or 4 times before they are on wifi.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Michiel,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Configuring Authentication Types

This section describes how to configure authentication types. You attach configuration types to the access point's SSIDs. For details on setting up multiple SSIDs. This section contains these topics:

Assigning Authentication Types to an SSID

Configuring Authentication Holdoffs, Timeouts, and Intervals

Creating and Applying EAP Method Profiles for the 802.1X Supplicant

For more information please refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap11-authtypes.html

Hope this will help you.

You might call me an idiot but  im actually using the cool new GUI that comes with the latest firmwares and that works very good and way faster then remembering all commands

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card