Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 1142 reset to default

I have a 1142 that I purchased that needs to be set to factory defaults so that I can configure it. I do an escape at the boot sequence and I get to the

ap:

prompt, the reset instructions that Cisco provides says that I should rename the old config.txt and reboot and that I will then be able to start my reconfig. The problem is that I can't find a config.txt file in the flash space:

Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx         260   Jan 1 1970 00:04:28 +00:00  env_vars

3  -rwx      112947   Apr 1 2011 15:17:10 +00:00  event.log

5  drwx         128   Mar 1 2002 00:01:54 +00:00  c1140-rcvk9w8-mx

9  drwx         256   Apr 1 2011 14:30:32 +00:00  c1140-k9w8-mx.124-21a.JHB1

8  -rwx        5144   Mar 1 2002 00:00:27 +00:00  private-multiple-fs

I checked in the directories listed above and still found no config.txt. I appreciate all help since I am stuck and can go no further.

Thanks,

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Aironet 1142 reset to default

Well, you have a lightweight AP that should work with the a wireless controller. right?

This can be reset to defaults using the mode button.

The steps needed are (quoting from Leo link above):

Step 7 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

You may forget other steps. Those three steps are the only steps needed to reset your lightweight AP to defaults.

But why you want to reset the AP to the defaults? If you connect it to a controller the new image and config will be automatically downloaded from the controller.

If you think that what you have is a standalone AP then no it is not. This one is a lightweigt AP. So if you want to convert it to autonomous/standalone AP follow this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Aironet 1142 reset to default

Well, you have a lightweight AP that should work with the a wireless controller. right?

This can be reset to defaults using the mode button.

The steps needed are (quoting from Leo link above):

Step 7 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

You may forget other steps. Those three steps are the only steps needed to reset your lightweight AP to defaults.

But why you want to reset the AP to the defaults? If you connect it to a controller the new image and config will be automatically downloaded from the controller.

If you think that what you have is a standalone AP then no it is not. This one is a lightweigt AP. So if you want to convert it to autonomous/standalone AP follow this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks for all the responses, they helped solve the problem. I have one more issue that I would be extremely grateful for help with. When I check the AP join statistics I see the following:

Reason For Last Unsuccessful Attempt    RADIUS authorization is pending for the AP

I don't run a radius server and don't know how to get around this so that the device can join.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content