Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 1200 Dropping Clients

A while back I posted about my wifi network in my warehouse dropping RF Gun users and it was summarized that my problem was interference related. We never found any sort of interference showing up on our WiSpy (once we exchanged the original for a new one) but users were still complaining. I reset all the router's channels and power levels back to what they were when I first came here and it seemed the problem was a lot better in that some days were perfectly fine and other days were sort of iffy - but not as bad as when I first posted that thread.

This week however, it seems the problem has reared its ugly head again and our users are constantly getting kicked off in certain spots which I have marked on the attached image in yellow. However it seems to effect cell phones as well, but not laptops as far as I can tell.

I have tried multiple things and none have made any difference. I have changed the packet retries on all the APs to 128 and "drop-packet" from the 32 it was set at. I have switched out one of the APs in the problematic area with no change in regards to being dropped (AP12 now). The two top right yellow marked areas are the strangest to me as they are within direct line of sight of the AP with nothing between the user and the AP (the map on the image is a little out of date as the racks pictured are not there anymore).

I am admittely not a wifi expert, but to me the channels being set the same next to each other seems like it would be cause for concern, but that is how it was setup years before I came and they never had much issues, and like in my previous post when I changed all the access points to have different channels the problem was way worse.

I have become incredibly frustrated over this as well as my users and I am out of ideas in regards to what the issue could be. I theorized that maybe the Cisco power injectors were not sending enough juice to the AP causing the radios to drop, but haven't found any way to see how much power the AP is receiving. If I use a RF gun, even when it tells me that the link quality and signal strength are at 40-50%, it will still just drop the connection completely after a couple minutes - even when I'm not moving. I have no idea if it's interference, co-channel interference, or something else entirely.

Views
Helpful
Replies