Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 1242 IOS Commands

I am trying to set   airnoet 1242 access point model #AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 and I am using the guide found at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37frst.html

The IOS version is 12.3(11)JX1 but when I try any of the standard IOS commands(configure terminal is not a valid command) I get an "unreconized command" error I also can not access the web GUI. I have set the ip and can ping it but when I browse to it I get nothing.

I would be greatful for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Aironet 1242 IOS web GUI

You are not able to access the gui nor to enter normal IOS commands because your AP is running LWAPP software which is used when you want to use a centralized wireless network with Wireless Lan Controlers (WLC).

If you want to use that AP as an autonomous AP, then you need to upload an IOS image on it.

The easiest way to achieve this (IMO) is to follow these steps:

1 - enable ios commands on the AP issuing the command "debug lwapp console cli".

2 - configure IP address on the physical interface and make the AP to reach an tftp server.

3 - place an IOS image on the tftp server

4 - on the AP type the command: "archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:///"

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Aironet 1242 IOS Commands

Hi Michael,

The "LAP" prefix on your AP means that it is a Lightweight AP not IOS.

You would need to follow the steps in the attached doc to convert it to IOS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I do not have the privileges to access that page. However,  I am not able to access the AP's web GUI either and as I said I can give it an address and ping it.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Same reason.  It's because you are running a controller-based IOS instead of the autonomous IOS.

Cisco Employee

You are not able to access the gui nor to enter normal IOS commands because your AP is running LWAPP software which is used when you want to use a centralized wireless network with Wireless Lan Controlers (WLC).

If you want to use that AP as an autonomous AP, then you need to upload an IOS image on it.

The easiest way to achieve this (IMO) is to follow these steps:

1 - enable ios commands on the AP issuing the command "debug lwapp console cli".

2 - configure IP address on the physical interface and make the AP to reach an tftp server.

3 - place an IOS image on the tftp server

4 - on the AP type the command: "archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:///"

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Yes that link works. Thank you Rob.

Also thank you leolaohoo and Tiago Antunes. I will try this and let you know how it goes.

One more thing where would I find the IOS package? I have tried seaching for it on cisco.com but all I can find is documentation about it. From what I can tell the IOS I need is called  " c1240-k9w7-tar.default "

Thank you all again

Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you follow Robs document, you need to download the IOS softeare and rename the filename to " c1240-k9w7-tar.default " as this is the filename the AP seaches for during boot up.

If you follow the steps i mentioned, you do not need to rename the file.

To get the IOS images you can go to the download software section on www.cisco.com.

The latest IOS release for 1240 APs is "c1240-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar".

HTH,
Tiago

--

Views
Helpful
Replies