Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1310, SSID & VLANs

s.abubasheer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mates,

Please I need your help here, we are small group having an internet wireless sharing over my BR1310, all work fine as one group with one ssid ATHEER & one vlan VLAN1, but I need to use more ssid and vlan, I did some setup and configure BR1310 for another ssid ATHEER1 with vlan2 , I can get connected but never get internet service with ATHEER1, why ?!!! look next please:

Radio0-802.11G

SSID ATHEER :

Device Type Name IP Address MAC Address State Parent VLAN

4500-radio - 192.168.20.16 000e.2e38.94e6 MAC-Associated self 1

SSID ATHEER1 :

Device Type Name IP Address MAC Address State Parent VLAN

4500-radio - 192.168.20.97 000e.2e40.462a MAC-Associated self 2

My Regards

Laser

13 Replies 13

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Saher,

Maybe this document helps a bit:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you, I read all pdf file (vlanswireless) and tell me if I'm right please , I find there is noway to have vlan in my wlan without cisco catalyst switch, which I don't have yet, or there is another solution ?

Best Regards

Saher

Hi Saher,

this is not 100 percent correct. If your switch is 802.1q capable you can setup several Vlans with your Aironet APs.

The Cisco Documents - of course - only mention Cisco hardware!

So you have to determine if your switches are manageable and if they can handle 802.1q trunks!

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Saher,

this is not 100 percent correct. If your switch is 802.1q capable you can setup several Vlans with your Aironet APs.

The Cisco Documents - of course - only mention Cisco hardware!

So you have to determine if your switches are manageable and if they can handle 802.1q trunks!

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you, it's clear now.

can you give me your recommend which one is better for my wlan the calayst or other switch with 802.1q capable ?

BR

Saher

Hi Saher,

in most cases any 802.1q switch meets your needs for a wlan environment. On the other hand i have sometimes seen problems between APs and any switches after upgrading the AP IOS.

On the Catalysts i had never seen a problem with the APs.

Therefore i would prefer a Cisco switch.

Best regards,

Frank

P.S. Please rate helpful posts

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much, I realy appreciate your help & advices, I think I'll buy Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24LC 20 port 10/100 Desktop Switch or Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24TT 24 port 10/100 Switch, I think it's the right choice for SMB . please give me your final recommendation, do you agree and which one is better for wireless ?

BR

Saher

Hi Saher,

sorry for the delay in my answer i was very busy the last days.

Today i have a bank holiday here in germany and time for a short look into my posts.

,-)

The Express 500 may fulfill your needs.

What switch do you buy depends on your environment.

We have both types working at dfferent customers and the do their work well.

Just ask youself if you need 4 PoE and 2 Fiber ports.

If not choose the TT. If yes have the LC.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you, yes it's hard to have a time even for posts these days !

Please because I want to be soure before buying this switch, the main reason for it in my wlan now is having VLANs working on aironet 1310 which i can't do without a managed switch, I have now one Aironet1310 I want to have several vlan on it about 4 to 5, for wifi phones and internet access and other, so can I do that with it and Catalyst expess 500 ? I hope you understand my need, sorry maybe I can't explain well in english .

Best Regards

Saher

Hi Saher,

heve a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_configuration_example09186a00806da6c9.shtml#vlans

Here a short pullout

- - - snipp - - -

Create / Delete VLANs

VLAN Types

The switch ships with a default VLAN to which all the switch ports initially belong. The switch supports a maximum of 32 VLANs, including the default VLAN. Using only the default VLAN might be sufficient based on the size and requirements of your network. We recommend that you first determine your VLAN needs before you create VLANs.

Note: Cisco Catalyst 500 series switches work in VTP Transparent mode. VLAN creation, modification, or deletion done on this switch does not affect the other switches in the domain.

This depends on the type of device that is connected to the switch port:

A switch port applied with one of these port roles can belong only to an access VLAN:

- Desktop

- IP Phone+Desktop

- Printer

- Server

- Other

The access VLAN provides the attached device with the specific access designed for that VLAN.

A switch port applied with one of these port roles can send and receive traffic for all VLANs configured on the switch, one of which can be identified as a native VLAN:

- Switch

- Router

- Access Point

On this port, any traffic that is received or sent without the VLAN explicitly identified is assumed to belong to the native VLAN. Both the switch port and the attached device port must be in the same native VLAN.

- - - snapp - - -

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

maybe I'm dum person!! or maybe because I'm new to this field, I have several pdf files for catalyst 500 switch

and I read in " configure Cisco Catalyst Express 500 series " next:

(Both the switch port and the attached device port must be in the same native VLAN. )

( Use the Smartports Customize window to assign ports to VLANs. Select Configure > Smartports from the

Device Manager menu to display this window.)

does it mean that every port in the switch support just one vlan ?!! I think not. because I can connect just one

cable running from my Aironet to the catalyst switch port that assigned for AP, and still can make several

VLANs on more than one Access Point in my WLAN and make the same VLAN's name on the awitch, as it

shown in the help file :

( A switch port applied with one of these port roles can send and receive traffic for all VLANs configured on the

switch, one of which can be identified as a native VLAN:

- Switch

- Router

- Access Point

please am I right ? also one more question please, for SMB running 3 to 5 Aironet AP is there a need for WLSE

or Wireless Lan controller ? I knew and read about a lot of features that can have with WLSE or WLC running

WCS, but can I connect and managed few APs with just Calayst 500 Express Switch ?

Finnaly thank you Frank for all your help I realy appreciate that.

BR

Saher

Hi Saher,

you are right. The switch can handel multiple VLANs per port.

For most costumers running up to 10 APs, the old fashioned single device configuration may fulfill the needs.

The WLSE or WLC (the WCS is a software to cantrally manage multiple WLCs and attached APs) gives you the chance to centrally administer serveral tasks like config management, RF management and so on.

The WLSE manages the autonomous APs. This means these APs have a IOS running and if the management station fails, they are still working.

The WCS manages Lightweight APs. These APs get their software (not IOS) from the WLC firmware and they are upgraded via WLC upgrade. These APs are NOT autonomous. If the WLC fails the APs stop working.

And both solutions need investment! Therefore i guess in samm deployments with only a few APs you do not need these management features.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your patience, you realy help me a lot.

Best Regards

Saher

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: