cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Aironet 1600/2600/2700e series radio roles

Hi!

For years we have used Aironet 1200, 1240 and 1250 as enclosed outdoor bridges. 5ghz has been used for backhaul and 2,4ghz for client use.

Usually 5ghz radios is in Root or Non-root bridge with Wireless Clients and 2,4ghz radio i Root bridge with Wireless Clients. Mimo is nice to have but not critical so Aironet AP1242AG has been our favourite workhorse to a fair price. Even the old 1200 series has served us well, but lack of MFP is now causing problems with newer Windows 8.1 devices.

Sadly 1242 is EOL and Ciscos advice for us is to us the 1530 series, but the price is stiff. Anyone know if the Aironet 1600, 2600 or 2700e series could support the same roles as the 12xx AG series?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Unfortunately you are not able to configure the antennas like the models you were using before.

Here are the antenna commands for the 2602e.

a-antenna     use antenna A
  ab-antenna    use antennas A and B
  abc-antenna   use antennas A, B, and C
  abcd-antenna  use antennas A, B, C, and D
  gain          Configure Resultant Antenna Gain

Much different than the old 'antenna receive/transmit' commands.

5 REPLIES
Community Member

It is supported.http://www

It is supported.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap6-radio.html#pgfId-1101651

The 1572 outdoor AP will be released soon, so there is anticipation of a price break for the 1532. 

Community Member

Yes i see the roles are

Yes i see the roles are supported, but can the antenna ports be mapped to each radio? Thought the new radios had dual band ports. For instance the 1602e has 3 antenna ports, so can we map one port to radio0 and one or two ports to radio1?

Community Member

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Unfortunately you are not able to configure the antennas like the models you were using before.

Here are the antenna commands for the 2602e.

a-antenna     use antenna A
  ab-antenna    use antennas A and B
  abc-antenna   use antennas A, B, and C
  abcd-antenna  use antennas A, B, C, and D
  gain          Configure Resultant Antenna Gain

Much different than the old 'antenna receive/transmit' commands.

Community Member

Thank you TJ!I think this

Thank you TJ!

I think this could work in some way if could assign lets say antenna A to radio1 a plain 5ghz antenna for backhaul. Radio0 then assigned to A and B (or more) with 2,4ghz antennas. Antenna A port would be used for 2,4ghz, but with no compatible antenna it doesnt matter. Not optimal for diversity, but i assume it could work since no 2,4ghz signal can run on the 5ghz antenna anyway. Maybe we order a 1602e to do a field test.

Community Member

Let me know how that turns

Let me know how that turns out, interesting idea. I was hoping for a command like b-antenna that only uses B. That could be a feature request you file with your SE.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content