Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 350 mini pci client disconnects

I installed this adaptor on my Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop. Works fine, except that when I look into the link status (ACU), it disconnects and then connects again very quickly. I am using a Dlink DI713P wireless router. This disconnect/connect does not bother me normally, except when I use my head phone, and I can hear the electrical noise of disconnect/connect. The signal strength shows good. I do not have this problem when I use a Dlink DWL650 pc adaptor card. Any help or explanations will be appreciated. I am using the latest firmware and driver.

9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Aironet 350 mini pci client disconnects

Hi Khs8

Which version of drivers are you using ?

NDIS ?

ACU ?

Firmware ?

Have you tried setting your access point to another channel ?

Derwin, thanks for the reply. I tried using another channel, same thing happened. Signal strength and quality go to zero for a very brief monment and then go to good again. It happens every 30 seconds or so, but does not affect performance at all, only creates the noise in the headset. I am pretty sure there are no interference since I am in a very remote area and houses are far apart. My phones are 900 MHz, Microwave is not on. I am using the latest driver and firmware I found from Cisco web site:

ACU 5.05.001

FW V5.00.03

Boot Block V1.59

NDIS V3.4.9

Any other ideas? Thanks

KS

Cisco Employee

Hi KS,

Please try:

1. On the current profile you are using under the RF network table disable the option periodically scan for a better access point.

2. If this does not resolve the issue please try changing your clear channel assement to Carrier/Correlation (Car/Cor) the default for the minipc card is energy detect.

Let me know if these help

David

Hi David:

I tried your suggestion, no change. It shows "not associated" very breifly once every 20 seconds. I also tried changing power to always on, changed antenna to primary or secondary, change link speed to fixed speed, and channel. I think I tried changing everything there is that can be changed, but it is still the same, every 20 seconds or so, it dis-associates very briefly.

Thanks for your help.

KS

Cisco Employee

Hi KS,

If you had a Cisco AP I would be turning the trouble shooting to that now ?

I do not know the full details of the dlink device you have but I have checked and it is WiFi certified so it should work.

I think due to the complex nature of this problem I recommend that you raise a TAC case and at the same time contact Dlink for support also as you will need to determine which device is causing the loss of association.

Couple of last suggestions though.

If you are using XP make sure that

Step 1 Make sure the client adapter's driver has been installed and the client adapter is inserted in the Windows XP device.

Step 2 Double-click My Computer, Control Panel, and Network Connections.

Step 3 Right-click Wireless Network Connection.

Step 4 Click Properties. The Wireless Network Connection Properties screen appears.

Step 5 Select the Wireless Networks tab.

make sure that use windows to configure my wireless settings is NOT checked.

I would then also try another SSID, my thinking here is that there is a remote chance that there is another AP within range and is using the same SSID and you card is trying to roam, I think this is a very small chance but give it a go

Hi David: thanks for the suggestions. I tried them, but no improvement. I do not think Dlink is the problem, since before I installed the 350 Aironet client, I was using the DWL650 (from Dlink), and there were no disconnect/connect noice on my headset. As suggested, I will try to raise a TAC. Thanks again for helping.

KS

Guys, I've been installing Aironet network for some years now, and the exact symptom that derwin relates is commonplace. I've been seeing it now for almost two years.

It's something to do with the Cisco client side of the equation. I have Linksys and Orinoco cards connecting to Aironet APs that never exhibit this behavior.

Hi: thanks for the info. Now, I know I am not alone with this issue and that my card is not defective. I will raise a TAC soon and see what Cisco is going to do about this.

KS

My problem (dis-associat/associate every 30 secon ds) is solved with the new software (firmware, driver, ACU, ACM, that is bundled with the new Windows Intall Wizard v1). I like the ACU Monitor that shows the quality on the task bar. However, I have a problem with this new software update because it causes a conflict with the Windows XP Welcome screen and fast switch screen. It is now using the classic log on screen which does not look as nice. I have posted this problem as a new problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content