cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 350 w/ Linksys WAP11

kleinfelter
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to add an Aironet 350 PC card to an existing Linksys WLAN. I've configured the WLAN for WEP-disabled, open access. I've set all the parameters on the 350 to match a working Linksys card. I've disabled MAC control on the Linksys Access Point.

The Aironet Client Utility reports that the card is "not associated". When I bring up statistics, I see lots of PLCP CRC errors.

Any pointers?

5 Replies 5

kkulp
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if the Linksys AP supports short preambles. The Cisco card is set to short preambles by default. The short preamble setting is found on the RF Network tab when editing a profile in ACU.

Good guess. The LinkSys does support short preambles. I've also tried it with both the card and the WAP set to long preambles.

What does it mean that all those packets are coming in and PLCP CRC errors are happening? It sure does seem like the WAP and the PCCard are using different protocols. Could something cause the PC Card to drop bytes? It's running on an 800 Mhz laptop.

Any other ideas?

You wouldn't happen to have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, would you?

Also, if available, make sure the linksys AP is using two antennas and is set to use antenna diversity.

No 2.4Ghz equipment in the house (except possibly the microwave, which is not running). The linksys is using both antennas. I'm not dead certian what 'diversity' means, but it sends/receives on each. Also, when I'm communicating with a LinkSys PC Card, I'm getting 100% signal strength and 100% signal quality, so the problem would not seem to be electronic noise.

The retailer's support staff has suggested that I ensure that the WAP is using the same protocol! (Um... I think that's what WiFi/802.11b means.)

I've tried setting up the Aironet card and the LinkSys card on a different laptop. Same results. When the Linksys card is in, it talks to the WAP, but the Aironet says it is not associated, and shows lots of CRC errors.

Any other ideas, or should I just throw in the towell and send it back?

Thanks in advance!

kleinfelter
Level 1
Level 1

Oddly enough, the Aironet card successfully communicates in ad hoc mode with a Linksys card, it just fails to connect to the LinkSys access point. Help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: