Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocating APs to computers

Hi,

I want to make sure that 3-4 computers connect to each access point in the office to minimize bandwidth usage. How can I do that?

In other words, I want some computers to choose an access point over another. Is there a MAC address filter or something like that I can use?

Thanks!

Tibet

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

perhaps the link below will spark an idea on how to accomplish what you're trying to do:::

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/wlan/config_wlan_chapter_011011.html

I am using a controller. So what you are essentially saying is to group the APs and assign WLANs to each group. Right?

If I want to separate the networks, too I can assign those WLANs to different VLANs.

Is there are a different way, perhaps a MAC address based allocation that I can use with a controller?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Allocating APs to computers

There really isn't a good way to allow certain devices to connect to certain access points. You want to have the ability to roam and thus you would want to have the same ssid on each AP. Using Mac filtering will allow only those MAC address to join or join a certain ssid. You can limit the number of clients per ap, but you can't choose which ones. The best way to get around this is to add more AP's if you have high density of users.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you have autonomous IOS, then MAC-based ACL would be a good choice.

Cisco Employee

Re: Allocating APs to computers

MAC address based filter is realy a good option in case you want specific compuet to connect to specific SSID/AP.

Is there any way to do that for lightweight aps?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content