Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Another roaming question.

All scenarios for wireless networking I've seen focus on a WLAN with overlapping coverage. I have inherited a site which has two Cisco 350 series APs which do NOT overlap in coverage area. They are using mobile terminals with Cisco LMC cards in them to connect to the WLAN.

They report frequent drop-outs and disconnections. They aren't using any encryption (much to my dismay) AND they are using the default SSID.

If there are two access points on a network - do the coverage areas have to overlap ? (obviously for seamless roaming you need overlap - what if they don't?) At another site, I have experienced a client switch access points from an AP within clear line of sight (within 10m) to an AP at the other end of the warehouse.

I am wondering if the terminals are trying to roam to the other ap and never get authenticated because they aren't in range. I have done some trials off site with a single AP on the LAN and did not get any disconnections.

The drop-outs occur as close as 10 m from the AP - with a clear line of sight. Does anyone have any ideas? What is the best way to check for interference from another wireless LAN - does this sound like the most likely culprit?

Firmware versions in the APs are: 12.00T and 11.21. Would upgrading firmware help?

I have also noticed that one of the cards must have corrupted firmware in it as the MAC address reported by the DOS drivers is 00ffffffffff. Could corrupted firmware be to blame? But would this cause dropouts for the reset of the clients (three)?

I would appreciate any assistance you can provde.

Timothy Muir

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Another roaming question.

You should try to get both the AP's in question to the latest firmware. The other thing you could do is change the SSID and change the channels in the AP's to see if that is the issue. To check for possible interference look over this URL http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/accsspts/ap350scg/index.htm. You could try upgrading the firmware and driver for your client adapter to see if that solves your MAC address issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content