cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna cables

Mr. Bash
Level 1
Level 1

I generally deploy the 1231G cisco ap's along with two 5dbi cisco antennas [air-ant2506]. My predecessor used to purchase 6' antenna cables to go along with them.

I found this odd because the cabling tech would only mount the antennas about a foot and a half away from the AP and then COIL up the slack [isn't that defeating the purpose].

My thought is that you generally don't need to buy antenna cables unless you're having to mount the antennas a good distance away from the AP. But if the antennas are nearby, don't waste the money.

Am I right?

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ronald,

You are most correct here :) It sure sounds like the three foot cable that ships with a 2506 would be plenty. Additional length only adds loss and unsightly coils of cable. Maybe there was some question of how/where to mount the antennas that came into play here? You just never know.

Hope this helps!

Rob

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

In the situation you describe, I can only think it might have baan added as a "Service Loop" so the AP could be taken down (leaving the antennas in-place).

If the cabling is redundant, get rid of it, it'll cut down on the signal (strength) input to the antenna.

The extra connections are just additional points of failure and / or corrosion.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: