Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP 1200 with pcmcia 350 client: bad performance

I have an AP1200 (internal attenna) with a Cisco PCMCIA card (350) at home. No matter how I configure the access-point or the client, I can only associate with the access--point within 30-40 feet. The signal strength is very poor. Using the same client I can pick up the signal from a D-link access-point somewhere in my neighborhood. It is ridiculous because the Cisco AP 1200 cost much more than a D-lnk or a Linksys but the performance is much poorer. What am I missing here?

11 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: AP 1200 with pcmcia 350 client: bad performance

Two things to check. First make sure the Access Point is not anywhere near another electrical device that may cause interference. Second make sure the Access Point and the Client Adapter are running the latest firmware and drivers.

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-wireless.shtml

I did upgrade firmware on both Access-point and client and also did upgrade driver on the client machine. Did not help neither !!!

As far as the location of the access-point, It is sitting in the same room with some computers and video equipment. I also did try with different channel but no differences.

Cisco Employee

Also check the Transmit power set for AP1200. Make sure that its set for 100mw.

Transmitting power is set for 100mW. Diagnotics page show everything is OK except a lots of retries.

I can't recall the terminology for the setting, but you should find on the 1200 an option to configure at what rate you'll accept a connection 11,5,2,1. Ensure you are allowing connections at the slower rates. As you move further from the AP and you encounter a drop in your signal, you'll connect at a slower data rate.

Tried that, it always pick the highest rate (11MB/s) but fails immediately at at distance more than 20 ft.

The 350 client card is for 802.11b. Doesn't the AP need external antennas for 802.11b and use an integral antenna for 11a?

Is this true? The AP 1200 comes without any antenna, not even the rubber type of antenna. Do I need to order an external antenna? This is a shame because the cheaper Access points like LinkSys or D-link come with antenna.

Cisco Employee

Antennas are optional with AP1200 chassis, not supplied with unit. AP1200 is a modular Access Point. You may have AIR-AP1220B-A-K9 where only Dual RP-TNC connectors are there with chassis. Antennas sold seperately. So while you order it, you need to mention that you need AP chassis, Radio card and antennas.

Pl. visit following url for that

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao1200ap/prodlit/casqw_ai.htm

hi

i am unaware about the terminology of cisco wireless products...but still i can recommend you by telling what i use to do with my product...

1. make the SSID same at PCMCIA card.

2. make the preamble mode to short.(advanced tabon the card properties on the network neibourhood)

3. you can change the threshold values to maximum (advanced tab on the card properties on the network neibourhood)

And once again as the AP is a data link device so doing anything with the IP settings won't help!

best of luck..... sandeep

Problem resolved, by a home-made antenna using a two coaxial cables. With this antenna, I now can receive a good to fair signal quality in a distance of 100ft or more from the access-point.

Thanks for everyone's advises and helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content