Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP 1220A External Antenna?

I'm looking to extend the range of the 1220, and I am seeing that all the external antennas are only up to 2.5 Ghz and not 5 Ghz. Does this mean that the unit is only capable of lower Mbs when using the externals? (and not even 802.11b without the MPCI card?)

I am trying to use the unit in a 40'x50' stockroom and there is a lot of steel (shelves, castings, etc.) that really seems to impede the signal. The unit is in testing, but I fear that the coverage won't be all that good in it's current state.

Thank You for any assistance,

Craig

2 REPLIES

Re: AP 1220A External Antenna?

From the FCC rules (47CFR15.407(d)): "Any U-NII device that operates in the 5.15-5.25 GHz band shall use a transmitting antenna that is an integral part of the device."

If you add the 11b card, you can have directional antennas, but only for that band.

Re: AP 1220A External Antenna?

Thanks, I see now in the manual, it shows the jacks being for the 2.5Ghz antennas. I was hoping that possibly in the future it would be used for the higher rate. I'm really disappointed on how weak the signal is at 56Mb. I've now changed the setting to "Optimize for distance" and we'll see how it goes.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content