Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

AP-1230B + WPA2?

Can these AP supports WPA2 via IOS upgrade?

• Getting Started with Wireless
8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: AP-1230B + WPA2?

Here is a link that will help you answer your question.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/340507

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks for the link Scott, I did find that discussion. However, I've got another engineer telling me otherwise. He states that one only needs to upgrade to 12.3 (2JA) or later. I think he's confused between specific 1200 series units. (ie, 1242g will, 1230b won't)

Hall of Fame Super Silver

The hardware must be able to support the feature. In your case WPA2/AES. So your radio will determine if it will work. It was like Microsoft XP and upgrading the service pack to enable the feature. Doesn't mean it will work. You either had to upgrade the driver also or the wireless card didn't support it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Welcome to CSC. Short answer the b only radio card will not support wpa2 aes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I've got another engineer telling me otherwise.

Tell the engineer to prove it.

Frankly, I've got my money on what Scott and George says than any "engineer".

I agree, any 802.11b radio will be able to encrypt the data using AES, it needs to do an upgrade on the radio (hardware) itself to be able tosupport AES which is what WPA2 uses for encryption.

Marco,

I think you mean 802.11'g'

Here is more supporting info

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5532

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Bronze

Hi Robert,

As mention before by Scott,  1230 access points with a B radio do not support WAPv2 +AES.

Here is a very detailed link with this information.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5532

As per Marcos answer,  I think that what he wanted to state is that the 1230B access points that come with a B radio you could purchas a G radio and swap the B radio to a G and WPAv2+AES would be supported.

Views
Helpful
Replies