Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP 1310 configuration and IOS

i have two 1310's

the info for A is:

Product/Model Number:AIR-BR1310G-A-K9-R
System Software Filename:c1310-k9w7-tar.124-3g.JA1
System Software Version:12.4(3g)JA1
Bootloader Version:12.3(2)JA4

the infor for B is:

Product/Model Number:AIR-BR1310G-A-K9
System Software Filename:c1310-k9w7-tar.124-3g.JA1
System Software Version:12.4(3g)JA1
Bootloader Version:12.3(2)JA4

i am trying to create a root-bridge to bridge relationship and i am out of luck.

they are on my desk facing eachother, i tried different cisco configs and the radio's keep going down.

i tried express setup (where it mandates an SSID) and a manual configuration (where SSID isnt requires since i DO NOT NEED an SSID for a simple bridge to bridge communications).

ex: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

these two will connect two buildings and will each have a switch on the other end.

no VLANs etc. pretty simple.

i am starting to suspect the IOS versions as i cant find these IOS versions in any documentation i looked at for configuration examples.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: AP 1310 configuration and IOS

This AP is very popular for use in severe environments as an AP not an bridge also for some bridges you may want to use a omni antenna if the 1310 is the root for a mutiple no roots or the builtin antenna may not meet you distance needs and you may want to use an Yagi or dish for the link.

If you use a single antenna you will need to make the cahnge in you config to use the Right/Primary antenna only. If you don't do this the AP may try to use the Left/Secondary antenna and the link will fail due to the lack of an antenna, your other choice is to put an antenna on both connectors and not worry.

there is only one radio, based on communication the software will switch the output to the righht or left antenna if diversity is enabled

the builtin antenna is verticaly polarized so you shoud in stall the Yagi with vertical polarzation, this is the normal polarization if you follow the antenna installation instructions. there is normaly an arrow and or the word up to indicate the proper orientation of the antenna.

Either AP can be the root just remember to wearher proof all the coaxial connections.

yes you learned that spanning tree does work.

good luck

Bill

3 REPLIES
Bronze

your AP with the -R suffix requires an external antenna does it have one?

Bill

it didnt, now it does - and its working. thank you.

when i researched this i thought these models did not need an antenna as it said "built in antenna"

why would cisco take out an antenna in the R version?

i also managed to bring down my network by having both AP's connected via ethernet cables to the switch - once they made their love connection via wireless and were also connected physically it caused the main company switch to have solid yellow lights on ALL PORTS and froze all network communications... took me a minute to realize it was the AP's, unplugging one AP from the network cleared the switch. is that called spanning trees? i thought cisco took care of that by default.

i noticed there are two antenna plugs one says "primary right" and the other "left" i have an omni antenna on the right for now, but ordered a yegi, is there a best practices for a bridge to root bridge connection antennas selection and mounting?
do you know if a yegi needs to be mounted vertically like a mast or horizontally like a microphone with the top aiming in the direction of the other 1310?
are two external antennas mean there are two radios (so in duplex scenario one would be for in and the other for out?) or is this just for better reception?

should the root bridge be the 1310 or the 1310-R (with the external antennas)?

i know i asked many question, any help is very appreciated!

Bronze

This AP is very popular for use in severe environments as an AP not an bridge also for some bridges you may want to use a omni antenna if the 1310 is the root for a mutiple no roots or the builtin antenna may not meet you distance needs and you may want to use an Yagi or dish for the link.

If you use a single antenna you will need to make the cahnge in you config to use the Right/Primary antenna only. If you don't do this the AP may try to use the Left/Secondary antenna and the link will fail due to the lack of an antenna, your other choice is to put an antenna on both connectors and not worry.

there is only one radio, based on communication the software will switch the output to the righht or left antenna if diversity is enabled

the builtin antenna is verticaly polarized so you shoud in stall the Yagi with vertical polarzation, this is the normal polarization if you follow the antenna installation instructions. there is normaly an arrow and or the word up to indicate the proper orientation of the antenna.

Either AP can be the root just remember to wearher proof all the coaxial connections.

yes you learned that spanning tree does work.

good luck

Bill

Views
Helpful
Replies