Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

Hi,

anyone knows what is the function of GigabitEthernet2 on the AP 1522? (look attached image)

It's so strange, but I was not able to find documentation for this port. However the GigabitEthernet2 exist and seems to work like the other Ethernet ports.

I'm looking for information about this port because I'm experiencing unusual reboots by APs with the GigabitEthernet2 in use.

I have installed 17 AP 1522, AC powered and connected with the fiber port to a central switch. There are two type of installation. Some APs use only GigabitEthernet0,1,3 and some others use all GigabitEthernet interfaces.

On GigabitEthernet0 and 1 ports there are connected two Axis fixed cam, and on the GigabitEthernet2 there is always a Axis PTZ cam.

I'm investigating on how and because all APs with GigabitEthernet2 (PTZ) used are experiencing sometimes, and all togheter a reboot.

Log from WLC:

3 Sun Jul 29 11:20:09 2012 AP '1T-1AB1-005-P', MAC: 68:bd:ab:6a:70:00 disassociated previously due to AP Reset. Uptime: 0 days, 00 h 07 m 07 s . Last reset reason: power loss

All APs are joined with a WLC 5508 firmware: 6.0.202.0

Thanks to everyone.

Everyone's tags (3)
12 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

The reason it is not documented is because it is not supported by TAC.  So since you have tried it, you know that it does function as another gigabit Ethernet port.  Maybe you have too much power drawn from your devices, that the mesh ap will not stay up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

Hi Scott,

I get it that it's not supported by TAC, but is unbelievable that Cisco doesn't know about this interface.

Do you think that 3 devices indipendently AC powered can still draw too much power?

Re: AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

They do know about this interface but it's probably not suppose to be used and that is why it's not designated in any documents. There are other devices out there with port that don't work are are meant possible for future use. Again, Cisco will not document those. Is it possible that those devices draw too much power... Well if they are AC connected, then I don't think they would draw any power. Using that non documented port is probably causing an error to reboot the mesh ap. You already know this because you were able to isolate the issue to mesh APs that have this port being used. You better off connecting a small switch to the Ethernet port and having the cameras hang off of that switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

I would say that Cisco did not documented this port properly.

in this image:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/200001-300000/200001-210000/203001-204000/203822.jpg

The guide says about port 6:

Aux/console port

or

Cablegland entry (PG13) for data cable (outdoor cat 5 STP cable)

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1520/installation/guide/1520_ch1.html#wp1046468

Because they are mentioning the other port (number 11 in the image) as PoE in port, I would say the GigEthernet2 port that you mentioned can not use PoE but it can still be used for data.

I suggest that you contact Cisco TAC about it. I would say that the TAC engineer will have to ask the BU about this port. BU has the technical guides needed to show why this ports is used. If it is used for normal situations as an alternative to the PoE in port -that is also used for data- then you can ask them to document it properly. a documentation bug can be opened so the doc team work and update the document accordingly.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

The 1520 and the 1550 are only meant to be able to bridge to a single device. That Ethernet port is located inside the mesh ap which might of been intented for something else. Maybe connection to the cable modem.... Who knows..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

I'm valuating to open a TAC.

I will keep informed about any news.

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

Hi,

I have good news.

The GigabitEthernet2 port is now working fine. No reboots after more than 1 month of continuos operation.

I have just updated the WLC with firmware 7.2.111.3.

Thanks anyway for your support.

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

What again are you using this for and how many connections are you using?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

On GigabitEthernet 2 is attached an Axis P5534 PTZ IP-camera, sending 2x H.264 streams (720p, 24fps).

Other two Gigabit RJ45 ports are used with two fixed IP-camera Axis P1346, also sending 2x H.264 streams (1080p, 24fps).

The SFP port is used for fiber optic connection to an access switch.

Finally 2.4GHz radio is used as AP for clients (5 GHz and mesh feature is not yet used).

Ah okay... Thanks for the info. Do you see the interface being heavily utilized due to the cameras?

-Scott

AP 1522 GigabitEthernet2

I see that there are not heavy used. Just think that all 3 cameras are generating all togheter below 10Mbit/s.

Not bad...

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content