Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP 1552 is equavalent of local mode?

Hello guys.

I found this sentence in 1552 AP guide.

"AP1552 comes only in the Bridge mode and the mode cannot be changed. A mesh access point performs CleanAir function and also serves clients on the assigned channel similar to the way the Cisco Indoor CleanAir AP3500 (nonmesh mode) operating in LMAP mode serving clients on its assigned channel. The mesh AP also monitors the spectrum only on that channel."

We want to use this AP as a local AP ( not for mesh deployments) and serve our wireless clients. The main thing why we need this is just operating temperature. Is it good choice? Does it will function as "normal" local AP or we will have any problems , because of that "mesh" mode?

Thank you for your time and for your answers!

Everyone's tags (4)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

The AP mode can not be changed. the mode is bridge and no other modes available to change to.

You can use the AP to serve clients by simply joinign it to the WLC, configure it as a RAP and it will provide the clients with wireless traffic on 2.4 GHz band.

5 GHz band however is not by default enabled to allow clients to connect. But you can enable client traffic by enabling backhaul mesh under mesh configuration on WLC. This way you have an AP running and serving clients on both bands.

If you want the AP not to participate in any mesh networks in neighbor you can assign it a unique bridge group name.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: AP 1552 is equavalent of local mode?

With 7.2 MR1 (7.2.110.0) you can set the 1520's & 1550's in local mode or FlexConnect mode:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2_110_0.html#wp784178

What's New in This Release?

This section provides a brief description of what is new in this release. For more information about these features, see the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide.

The Cisco Wireless Controller on Service Ready Engine (WLCM2 on SRE) platform running on ISM 300, SM 700, SM 710, SM 900, and SM 910 is supported in this release. For more information, seehttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11716/index.html.

Until the previous release, the Cisco Aironet 1520 and 1550 Series outdoor access points could work only in Bridge mode as RAP or mesh access points as MAP. With this release, these APs support the following two non-Bridge modes for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz:

Local mode

FlexConnect mode

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
19 REPLIES

Hello,

The AP mode can not be changed. the mode is bridge and no other modes available to change to.

You can use the AP to serve clients by simply joinign it to the WLC, configure it as a RAP and it will provide the clients with wireless traffic on 2.4 GHz band.

5 GHz band however is not by default enabled to allow clients to connect. But you can enable client traffic by enabling backhaul mesh under mesh configuration on WLC. This way you have an AP running and serving clients on both bands.

If you want the AP not to participate in any mesh networks in neighbor you can assign it a unique bridge group name.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad.

Thank you for your answer! This is really great answer, I highly appreciate it

With 7.2 MR1 (7.2.110.0) you can set the 1520's & 1550's in local mode or FlexConnect mode:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2_110_0.html#wp784178

What's New in This Release?

This section provides a brief description of what is new in this release. For more information about these features, see the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide.

The Cisco Wireless Controller on Service Ready Engine (WLCM2 on SRE) platform running on ISM 300, SM 700, SM 710, SM 900, and SM 910 is supported in this release. For more information, seehttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11716/index.html.

Until the previous release, the Cisco Aironet 1520 and 1550 Series outdoor access points could work only in Bridge mode as RAP or mesh access points as MAP. With this release, these APs support the following two non-Bridge modes for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz:

Local mode

FlexConnect mode

-Scott

Thanks Scott for the info. this is new to me.

i wish if we have new platform at my place that i can upgrade to 7.2.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Haha.... in time:)

-Scott

Scott,

Big news to me. Last Saturday I tried to add the 1552E to a 5508 with firmware version 6.x in local mode.

I realized that I need to upgrade to 7.2, so I'll do next Thursday. I was in doubt about config the AP in local mode, but after read your post, I'm sure it will work.

Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Well keep us posted.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi All,

Just to let you know. With the update, the AP joined the WLC, but there is more problems now. The WLC is updated with code 7.3.103.3 sent by Cisco TAC. The antennas of AP are down and it does not come up.

The output of the switch port that AP is connected is

Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max

(Watts)

--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----

Gi0/20    auto   on         14.1    AIR-CAP1552E-N-K9   3     15.4

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption

(Watts)           (Watts)

---------- --------------- --------------------

Gi0/20                15.4                 15.4

Maybe the switch isn't providing enough power to the AP, so next wednesday we'll try a power cable.

And another problem is the status of the interface in "interface" tab in AP. The status is "Not Supported" for 802.11a/n. The Cisco documentation says that the AP is correct.

Rodrigo

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The WLC is updated with code 7.3.103.3 sent by Cisco TAC.

That's a new code I've never seen before.

Let me ask a feedback from our "beta tester".  Hey Scott!  You there?  Have you tested this release yet???  LOL

Haha... That is a TAC special which I don't test out:) I only test the beta stuff... Hehe

The 1552 as a RAP is equivalent to local mode or 1552 in FlexConnect can be made equivalent to local mode by central switching. I don't have a 1552 at home to see if the v7.4 can put these in local mode:)

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

LOL.

I can just picture it now.  A 1550E hanging above your front porch with christmas LED wrapped around it.

Jingle Bells indeed!

Well there is not enough power. These mesh APs need to be powered by AC power cable, direct AC or by the correct power injectors for these APs. That is why the radios will not come up. You are supplying 15.4 which is wrought just to power the unit but not the radios.

-Scott

Hello,Has anyone tried 1552E

Hello,

Has anyone tried 1552E with 5760 WLC?

As per the release notes, 1500 series itself is not supported on 5760. But in this discussion it is stated that "At this time  all NGWC products (3850 and 5760) only support 4 AP modes: local,  se-connect, monitor, sniffer." So will 5760 support 1552E in local mode? Has anyone tested?

Arun

Hello,Has anyone tried 1552E

Hello,

Has anyone tried 1552E with 5760 WLC?

As per the release notes, 1500 series itself is not supported on 5760. But in this discussion it is stated that "At this time  all NGWC products (3850 and 5760) only support 4 AP modes: local,  se-connect, monitor, sniffer." So will 5760 support 1552E in local mode? Has anyone tested?

Arun

Mesh isn't supported in CA.

Mesh isn't supported in CA. See the matrix below. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott

That is bad...It has been

That is bad...

It has been mentioned that FlexConnect will be supported in future, but not mentioned WHEN it will be supported.

I had a client who is planning to upgrade to 5760 WLC. They have one relatively new 1552E (and a few other APs unsupported by 5760). So they wanted to know whether 1552E will work with 5760 or not. I had a hope that at least local mode will be unofficially supported.I don't think it will be possible to put 7.x code on these controllers to make things work.

CA and AireOS is two

CA and AireOS is two different beast.... FlexConnect I don't ever see being an option in CA, because that is where you would use the 3850 or 3650 in your access and set one to be the MA.  AireOS is not going to go away, so really, there is no reason to go CA unless your environment can be supported with what CA can provide.  We are still selling and implementing a lot of AireOS and really not many of the CA, because of parity and because MESH, OEAP, and others are not supported and may not be in a long time.

Scotty

-Scott

Thanks for the explanation,

Thanks for the explanation, Scott...

No problem... How I see CA

No problem... How I see CA right now is that if one decides to go that route, you would still need an AireOS for all the other things you want:)

So is CA ready, well if it was able to do what the WLC's could, then yes, but right now, I just don't see it.  That's my opinion:)

Scotty

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content