cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1600 - Cisco CleanAir Express technology

Augustgood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, with the last release 7.4.110.x on WLC Cisco AP 1600 Support CleanAir Express technology ?

The documentation says that it will be supported in the future ... but when ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I dont want to be shouted at so I will try and ask general question of this thread differently....

Leo,

You have said Express means things arent visible.  I can accept some of that if its a cut down system, but there must be a way to check its on or doing something?  If you cant prove its doing something its essentially a feature that you dont trust and wouldnt ever use surely?  Also according to the recent 2014 at-a-glance guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/borderless-networks/cleanair-technology/aag_c22-594304.pdf

it says:

"With Clean Air Express the Aironet 1600 Access Point has the ability to effectively detect RF interference, identify the source, locate it on a map..."

If its talking about a map, it must be hooking into Prime/NCS somewhere?

Leo and Scott Fella,

This doc also says that Express is planned for future support.  The question here is, what is planned for future support exactly and when?  I take this to mean that there is no Express functionality at all today until a future code version.  Therefore how has anyone got anything working if its not available let alone prove it if there is no way of testing it?

This feels like a very wooly and grey subject area to me...

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1600 supports CleanAir Express.  This means that instead of a dedicated harware to do CleanAir work, the AP will use the CPU to do CleanAir. 

in which firmware this feature was introduced ?

AP1600 was supported in WLC firmware 7.4.100.X.

Ap 1600 does not report interference, or air quality information.. ? why ?

if i select a radio a/bg-n  the output show "cleanair capable NO" and "cleanair admin status disabled" was not configurable and reported in grey. Why if clean air was supported on that firmware ?

if i select a radio a/bg-n  the output show "cleanair capable NO" and "cleanair admin status disabled" was not configurable and reported in grey. Why if clean air was supported on that firmware ?

Configuring Cisco CleanAir on the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (GUI)

Step 1  Choose Wireless > 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11b/g/n > CleanAir to open the 802.11a (or 802.11b) > CleanAir page.
Step 2  Select the CleanAir check box to enable Cisco CleanAir functionality on the 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n network, or unselect it to prevent the Cisco WLC from detecting spectrum interference. By default, the value is not selected.
Step 3  Select the Report Interferers check box to enable the Cisco CleanAir system to report any detected sources of interference, or unselect it to prevent the Cisco WLC from reporting interferers. The default value is selected.
Note  

Device Security alarms, Event Driven RRM, and the Persistence Device Avoidance algorithm do not work if Report Interferers are disabled.

Step 4  Select the Persistent Device Propagation check box to enable propagation of information about persistent devices that can be detected by CleanAir. Persistent device propagation enables you to propagate information about persistent devices to the neighboring access points connected to the same Cisco WLC. Persistent interferers are present at the location and interfere with the WLAN operations even if they are not detectable at all times.
Step 5  Ensure that any sources of interference that need to be detected and reported by the Cisco CleanAir system appear in the Interferences to Detect box and any that do not need to be detected appear in the Interferences to Ignore box. Use the> and < buttons to move interference sources between these two boxes. By default, all interference sources are detected. The possible sources of interference that you can choose are as follows:
  • Bluetooth Paging Inquiry—A Bluetooth discovery (802.11b/g/n only)
  • Bluetooth Sco Acl—A Bluetooth link (802.11b/g/n only)
  • Generic DECT—A digital enhanced cordless communication (DECT)-compatible phone
  • Generic TDD—A time division duplex (TDD) transmitter
  • Generic Waveform—A continuous transmitter
  • Jammer—A jamming device
  • Microwave—A microwave oven (802.11b/g/n only)
  • Canopy—A canopy bridge device
  • Spectrum 802.11 FH—An 802.11 frequency-hopping device (802.11b/g/n only)
  • Spectrum 802.11 inverted—A device using spectrally inverted Wi-Fi signals
  • Spectrum 802.11 non std channel—A device using nonstandard Wi-Fi channels
  • Spectrum 802.11 SuperG—An 802.11 SuperAG device
  • Spectrum 802.15.4—An 802.15.4 device (802.11b/g/n only)
  • Video Camera—An analog video camera
  • WiMAX Fixed—A WiMAX fixed device (802.11a/n/ac only)
  • WiMAX Mobile—A WiMAX mobile device (802.11a/n/ac only)
  • XBox—A Microsoft Xbox (802.11b/g/n only)
Note   Access points that are associated to the Cisco WLC send interference reports only for the interferers that appear in the Interferences to Detect box. This functionality allows you to filter out interferers that you do not want as well as any that may be flooding the network and causing performance problems for the Cisco WLC or Prime Infrastructure. Filtering allows the system to resume normal performance levels.
Step 6  Configure Cisco CleanAir alarms as follows:
  1. Select the Enable AQI (Air Quality Index) Trap check box to enable the triggering of air quality alarms, or unselect the box to disable this feature. The default value is selected.
  2. If you selected the Enable AQI Trap check box in Step a, enter a value between 1 and 100 (inclusive) in the AQI Alarm Threshold text box to specify the threshold at which you want the air quality alarm to be triggered. When the air quality falls below the threshold level, the alarm is triggered. A value of 1 represents the worst air quality, and 100 represents the best. The default value is 35.
  3. Enter the AQI Alarm Threshold (1 to 100) that you want to set. An alarm is generated when the air quality reaches a threshold value. The default is 35. Valid range is from 1 and 100.
  4. Select the Enable trap for Unclassified Interferences check box to enable the AQI alarm to be generated upon detection of unclassified interference beyond the severity threshond specified in the AQI Alarm Threshold. Unclassified interferences are interferences that are detected but do not correspond to any of the identifiable interference types.
  5. Enter the Threshold for Unclassified category trap (1 to 99). Enter a value from 1 and 99. The default is 20. This is the severity index threshold for an unclassified interference category.
  6. Select the Enable Interference Type Trap check box to trigger interferer alarms when the Cisco WLC detects specified device types, or unselect it to disable this feature. The default value is selected
  7. Make sure that any sources of interference that need to trigger interferer alarms appear in the Trap on These Types box and any that do not need to trigger interferer alarms appear in the Do Not Trap on These Types box. Use the > and < buttons to move interference sources between these two boxes. By default, all interference sources trigger interferer alarms.For example, if you want the Cisco WLC to send an alarm when it detects a jamming device, select the Enable Interference Type Trap check box and move the jamming device to the Trap on These Types box.
Step 7  Click Apply.
Step 8  Trigger spectrum event-driven radio resource management (RRM) to run when a Cisco CleanAir-enabled access point detects a significant level of interference as follows:
  1. Look at the EDRRM field to see the current status of spectrum event-driven RRM and, if enabled, the Sensitivity Threshold field to see the threshold level at which event-driven RRM is invoked.
  2. If you want to change the current status of event-driven RRM or the sensitivity level, click Change Settings. The802.11a (or 802.11b) > RRM > Dynamic Channel Assignment (DCA) page appears.
  3. Select the EDRRM check box to trigger RRM to run when an access point detects a certain level of interference, or unselect it to disable this feature. The default value is selected.
  4. If you selected the EDRRM check box in Step c, choose Low, Medium, High, or Custom from the Sensitivity Threshold drop-down list to specify the threshold at which you want RRM to be triggered. When the interference for the access point rises above the threshold level, RRM initiates a local dynamic channel assignment (DCA) run and changes the channel of the affected access point radio if possible to improve network performance. Low represents a decreased sensitivity to changes in the environment while High represents an increased sensitivityIf you selected the EDRRM sensitivity threshold as custom, you must set a threshold value in the Custom Sensitivity Threshold field. The default sensitivity is 35.The EDRRM AQ threshold value for low sensitivity is 35, medium sensitivity is 50, and high sensitivity is 60.
  5. Click Apply.
Step 9  Click Save Configuration.

My configuration is correct. this is some print screen:

BUt i cant see the functionality.... Lao Have you ever configured that feature ? or you attach information from configuration guiude, You have real experience on that feature  ?

this is my output and don't work !! with AP 1600.

That feature is supported or not on ap 1600 firmware 7.4.110 ??

CleanAir EXPRESS is supported only on the 1600.

This CleanAir EXPRESS means that the APs CPU will do all the work as well as NO REPORTS are forwarded to the WLC. If you want to see reports on the WLC then you need to use the 2600, 3500, 3600 and/or 3700.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

Don't show interference

don't show air quality report

don't mitigate interference (change channel)

Leo have you tested this feature ? mitigate the interference ? For me don't work !!

I am telling you the SECOND time: CleanAir EXPRESS does not generate these reports you are looking for. This is what you get when you use CleanAir EXPRESS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

Ok not generate report for 1600.

Mitigate the interference this feature for 1600 ?

There is some output that demonstrates its functionality or debug command ?

I can not find anything about it .

I think you need to understand what's not available with CleanAir express. In this PDF, it shows you what CleanAir express does. Since this doesn't happen on the WLC, the AP does its mitigation automatically. No interferes will show up or be collected on the WLC. If you wanted to see the interferers, then you would have to purchase a 2600, 3600 or 3700.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi fella i don't find the PDF ? have you tested the functionality of mitigation ?

For the THIRD TIME:  You WILL NOT BE ABLE to find any information, report and/or statistics about CleanAir when you are using AP1600.

This is because 1600 uses CleanAir Express.

If you want these informations, reports and/or statistics then you need to use either one of these models:  2600, 3500, 3600 3700.  These models support CleanAir.

I dont want to be shouted at so I will try and ask general question of this thread differently....

Leo,

You have said Express means things arent visible.  I can accept some of that if its a cut down system, but there must be a way to check its on or doing something?  If you cant prove its doing something its essentially a feature that you dont trust and wouldnt ever use surely?  Also according to the recent 2014 at-a-glance guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/borderless-networks/cleanair-technology/aag_c22-594304.pdf

it says:

"With Clean Air Express the Aironet 1600 Access Point has the ability to effectively detect RF interference, identify the source, locate it on a map..."

If its talking about a map, it must be hooking into Prime/NCS somewhere?

Leo and Scott Fella,

This doc also says that Express is planned for future support.  The question here is, what is planned for future support exactly and when?  I take this to mean that there is no Express functionality at all today until a future code version.  Therefore how has anyone got anything working if its not available let alone prove it if there is no way of testing it?

This feels like a very wooly and grey subject area to me...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card