Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP AIR-AP1852E-C-K9 coverage

Dear all 

Have good day,

Recently i am trying to find Cisco AP coverage but any document don't get for this, any tools that i can calculate area of coverage.

For this AP see the below requirement

1. Each user should get minimum of 1Mbps bandwidth so how much area of coverage should be for this AP.
2. Coverage should be 360 degree.  

Thanking 
Md. Mehedi Hasan

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Recently i am trying to find

Recently i am trying to find Cisco AP coverage but any document don't get for this, any tools that i can calculate area of coverage.

And you won't find any documentation about coverage. 

Pretend you are on the surface of the moon.  Pretend you are the only one there.  Wide open space, right?  Now hold that thought.

With all data rates enabled, 802.11b radio operating at full power and no walls & obstacles, 802.11b can go about 40 to 50 metres in a single direction.  

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Recently i am trying to find

And you won't find any documentation about coverage. 

Pretend you are on the surface of the moon.  Pretend you are the only one there.  Wide open space, right?  Now hold that thought.

With all data rates enabled, 802.11b radio operating at full power and no walls & obstacles, 802.11b can go about 40 to 50 metres in a single direction.  

Thank you very much Leo

Thank you very much Leo Laohoo for your very reply,

I need area of coverage in unidirectional way.

And space is totally open.

So how much area should cover 1852 with external antenna.

VIP Gold

You got the answer - about 40

You got the answer - about 40 - 50 meters.

But remember - you are not on the moon alone. There may be other devices using the same frequency that may affect your operations. A WiFi AP on other floor of the same build, AP in the other build near, and even a non WiFi device using the same frequency. Also, deflections of your own signal may cause interference.

And even in the fortunate case there's no other user of the air just now and no interference of any kind, it may change anytime in the future.

Moreover, the coverage is not matter of AP only. It's also about client device. More sensitive device can receive weaker signal than less sensitive client device. Client device transmitting with no full power or with weak antenna may be unable to connect from the same place where the more powerful device can connect with no issue.

Conclusion ? There's nothing like guaranteed reliable coverage in the wireless world. WiFi is world of fuzzy terms, moving targets and iterative approach. Even with well designed network, you may find places with unacceptable coverage. Those issues needs to be solved "on the fly".

By the way, you asked in inappropriate forum - we are off-topic here badly. I will move this thread to more appropriate place.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

So how much area should cover

So how much area should cover 1852 with external antenna.

This makes things a lot tricky.  

1.  What kind of antenna? 

2.  How are the antenna(s) installed?

3.  Height of the antenna(s)?

4.  Orientation of the antenna(s)?

I will not parley with guesses involving external antennas because this thread is going to get mighty long. 

Here's a recommendation:  Get a wireless site survey done right.

1. 2.4 GHz 2 dBi 5 GHz 4 dBi

1. 2.4 GHz 2 dBi 5 GHz 4 dBi Dipole Ant (AIR-ANT2524DW-R)

2. 4 Ant (s) each AP

3. Height of ant is 6.63 inch 

4. Horizontal beam width (2.4 GHz): 63 ° Horizontal beam width (5 GHz): 39 °

Hall of Fame Super Gold

1. 2.4 GHz 2 dBi 5 GHz 4 dBi

1. 2.4 GHz 2 dBi 5 GHz 4 dBi Dipole Ant (AIR-ANT2524DW-R)

2. 4 Ant (s) each AP

What's the use?  This is, roughly, the same power of the 1850I.  I wouldn't waste money on 2 dBi antenna, frankly.  

3. Height of ant is 6.63 inch 

Nope, the HEIGHT of the antenna when fully installed.  As in, how high is the antenna from the floor.  

4. Horizontal beam width (2.4 GHz): 63 ° Horizontal beam width (5 GHz): 39 °

As in, antenna pointing to the floor?  Ceiling?  Wall?

Again, I ain't going to parley.  I'm going to be playing 20-questions with all this hypothetical questions.

hi,

hi,

there's a wifi planning/modeling tool you could 'theoretically' use.

you can select AP1850 from the drop-down model.

http://173.37.206.125/aspnet_client/system_web/2_0_50727/WNG_Coverage_Capacity_Calculator_V3.13/WNG_Coverage_Capacity_Calculator_V3.13.asp

VIP Gold

Beware - it's nice tool, but

Beware - it's nice tool, but it's still just a hint for skilled WiFi designer. You need to understand the results correctly.

For example, this tool doesn't take number of users per AP into consideration. While theoretical maximum is about 200 and effective maximum is about 25-30 users per AP, this tool recommended me to use 1 AP for 200000 users.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content