cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Association Problem

Pravin Pillai
Level 1
Level 1

I have one 1242AG Access point with me. This AP is used to provide connecitivity to handle held devices. The issue I am facing with this AP is that, whenever the client connect to this AP it roams around to the nearest other access point which is also 1242AG access point. The nature of SSID is non broadcasting and i have static 128 bit WEP key enabled. I have checked and all allowed vlans is passed on the connected switchport. I have asked checked remaining config. But found a discrepancy. I have set power client and power local to 14dbm. While the other AP uses,

power inline negotiation injector override

power inline negotiation prestandard source

command.

Does this command over ride the choice of client to join an AP. I have also checked for other SSID and works fine which uses WPA authentication format.

The keys on both the AP are different. I feel it is a authentication issue. But can anyone help to point out anything else?

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Pravin,

The power inline negotiation injector override indicates a power injector is installed and the access point is configured to override the inline power checks.

If the switch can provide sufficient inline power but its IOS version does not support the Intelligent Power Management feature, you can get CDP error messages on the AP and both radio interfaces will not come up. In this case you will need to configure the AP (not the switch) to use a pre-standard inline power mode with the command power online negotiation prestandard source. This indicates to the AP that the switch does not support the intelligent power management and therefore the AP will never attempt to go into low power mode and wait for the negotiation before moving to the high-power profile.

Can you please paste the logs from AP console.

Regards

Thanks. But my concern is the AP is not using any power injector. The switch to which both AP's are connected is a PoE Switch.

Nov 14 00:45:59.660 UTC: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station AP-TEST 0811.96d7.54d0 Reassociated KEY_MGMT[WPA]

Nov 14 00:46:10.981 UTC: %DOT11-6-ROAMED: Station 0811.96d7.54d0 Roamed to 001b.2ba5.45e0

Nov 14 00:46:10.981 UTC: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 0811.96d7.54d0

Nov 14 00:46:10.985 UTC: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 0811.96d7.54d0 reached max retries, removing the client

Nov 14 01:17:41.947 UTC: %DOT11-6-ROAMED: Station 843a.4b66.276c Roamed to 001b.2ba5.45e0

can u please the out put of this command:

mac address of the client for whcih u r trying to connect to AP.

debug client <mac address>

Regards

Hello Pravin,

Can you also post the config of the SSID used show wlan WLANID ?

Are there other SSIDs that work fine on this particular trouble AP?

dot11 ssid Handheld

vlan 40

authentication open

encryption vlan 40 key 1 size 128bit 7 **Encrypted Key** transmit-key

encryption vlan 40 mode wep mandatory

I am not able to see debug client option...

i can see show vlan (not wlan) which shows some data in Rcv & TX. I strongly feel that the keys might be different

HI Pravin,

1st: Check the key.

2nd. Update the driver of the client.

3rd:You can change the retry feature, do this:

1. go to enable mode

2. go to config (conf t)

3. in do0

4. packet ret 64 drop

This will tell the AP not to remove station if it misses retry count, so it will stop your continuous associations, regardless of root cause.

If still falied then please provide more logs to find the exact cause.

Regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe the access point is autonomous since the OP stated the power local client command.

Can you post the AP config? These AP's are pretty old so it wouldn't surprise me if maybe the radio is going bad or the AP itself. With autonomous AP's it might be easier to copy a config from an existing working AP and edit it and upload it to the non working AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks All,

Issue got resolved

HI Pravin,

Glad that your problem resolved, can u please mention ur resolution here, it will be good for others.

Please mark it as answered, maybe  other can help form your question.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card