Views
Helpful
Replies

AP cannot register on WLC 5508

paultim68
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

AP cannot register on WLC 5508. WLC connects to 4507 as trunk port.

Layer 2 vlan / Layer 3 vlan and DHCP Scope are configured on 4507. On WLC the interface got IP address and DHCP IP address. Access Points connects to POE Switch. There   is a trunk configured between POE and 4507

show cdp neigh on 4507 displays connection to WLC and POE

show cdp nei on POE displays connection to 4507 and Access point.

what could be possible reason for AP not registering on WLC

cheers

paul

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If your APs are on the same SUBNET as your WLC mangment interface then the aps should join the WLC by broadcast which happens automatically on the ap..

What code is the wlc and what model are the access points?

Also if you console into the AP and start it up see what it says .. it will show you that its trying to reach the controller ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Missed it.. wat ur doing is for 1000 series APs not not the one that ur using!! use the below..

Other Cisco Lightweight Access Points (LAPs)

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Console into the AP and check if you are able to ping the WLC management Int IP address!! if not then there is a network connectivity problem.. if yes then reload the AP and then captute the logs and paste it here!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

LOL you beat me by a few seconds!

BTW -- When you going to be in TX?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paul,

The connection between the WLC and the SWITCH is truck, so good. It best to tag the traffic, fyi. If you can ping the WLC management address this will give us the idea its configured right so far.

The connection between the switch and the access point should be access port and NOT trunk. It should only be trunk if you are using HREAP with vlan separation.

If the APs are joing its becuase the APs, although having an ip address, can not locate the WLC to join. Here are a few ways the AP can learn where the wlc lives.

1. Put the APs on teh same subnet as the WLC managment interface

2. Use option 43 on the Ap scope

3. DNS resolving CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER with an A record pointing to the WLC managment IP address

4. Manual prime the AP

5. Use IP forward udp 5246

Make sense?

THis has everything to troubleshoot!! oh yeah!! i am Fremont , CA now... will be coming der in Mid DEC or Early Jan!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

sweet ... When you come to houston you need to let me know date wise. You are welcome to stay with me and we will light the city on fire !

ha ha Sure!!

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi

Connection between AP and switch is access port. The AP are not getting any IP from management vlan.

DHCP Scope on 4507 switch

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.20.1 172.16.20.25

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.25.1 172.16.25.25

ip dhcp pool DATA_VLAN

network 172.16.20.0 255.255.254.0

default-router 172.16.20.1

!

ip dhcp pool MANGT_VLAN

network 172.16.25.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 172.16.25.1

Interface vlan 7

ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.254.0

interface vlan 8

ip address 172.16.25.1 255.255.255.0

interface gi 4/10

description Connected-to-WLC

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 7

On POE Switch conf

All ports got config

int gi 0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 8

spanning-tree portfast

Can you access the WLC via the GUI or PING?

If the ap and the WLC are on differernt subnets then you need to implement one of the 5 options i mentioned.

It could be easier just to put the APs on the same subnet as the WLC let them join and then move them back to the proper vlan. Once they join they will save the WLC ip in NVRAM..

Make sense?

Hi

Both WLC management IP and AP vlan are on the same subnet. I can access the WLC via GUI using Management IP.

For Option 43 do I need to configure managment ip only or managment ip + AP IP

cheers

Paul

If your APs are on the same SUBNET as your WLC mangment interface then the aps should join the WLC by broadcast which happens automatically on the ap..

What code is the wlc and what model are the access points?

Also if you console into the AP and start it up see what it says .. it will show you that its trying to reach the controller ..

Hi

WLC Software  = 7.0.116.0

AP = AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

when I click on Wireless >> Access Point >> I see operational status = unknown

What country code is your WLC conifgured? Also, can you console into the ap to see what is saying?

Hi Stefanick

The country code is default - US

It seems that the AP is not getting IP address

Option 43 syntax i see 

( option 43 ascii "WLC IP, AP IP" )

( option 43 ascii "192.168.10.5,192.168.10.20" )

not sure how others configure OPTION 43 and AP gets IP from DHCP Scope dynamically < DHCP scope created on L3 switch >

Sorry to jump in George!!...

Hi paul,

here is the link to which tells us how to configure the DHCP option 43. to configure the same AP manager IP is not required!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml#t2

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card