cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ap config

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! I configured NTP,snmp,timezone in both of my WLC controller + WCS. It worked fine in the wlc n wcs, but this config is not propagated to the lightweight APs. when i do a show run, this config is not shown in the APs. So far only the login account is propagated to the AP. What could be the reason? Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's because the AP doesn't do NTP.

The idea behind a lightweight AP is that it pretty much only talks to a controller. So the AP is time-synchronized with the WLC through lwapp/capwap. To have the AP on the righ time you just need to configure NTP on your WLC and the AP will automatically be in synch if it's joined to the WLC.

Regards,

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

hi! I've setup NTP in both my WLCs, it seems that it's taking effect over the Lightweight APs, but it's definetly not the case for timezone, snmp. I did not see these commands when i do a sh run in the AP itself. The timezone in the APs are not syn with the WLC or WCS.....i don't see the snmp config i configured in the WLCs in the APs as well.

We r in the phase of migrating part of our APs to lightweight and currently there are still some areas where APs are in autonomous mode, but these APs are broadcasting the same ssid as my Lightweight APs. Will there be any issue? Would it be better if i do not broadcast the SSID (used in the autonomous) in my lightweight APs?

Thanks.

What is the impact for you regarding this ?

Lightweight APs are not SNMP-capable, so that's another expected behavior.

Why would the timezone of the APs actually matter to you ? You're not supposed to connect to them to manage them so, everything should happen through the controller.

A show run on a lightweight APs won't show all the IOS commands you're used to, so that's not a way to check a configuration.

Regards,

Nicolas

hi! what's the normal practice in this case if there's a need to check the log of the APs. The log's timestamp will always -8hrs behind our actual timezone. Is there anyway i can troubleshoot the AP (eg. viewing the log) if i want to check it from the controller?

How about the autonomous and lightweight using the same ssid during the transition period? Do you think of any concern on this? Thanks.

Most of the time, you will be checking the logs on the WLC, not the AP.

The only reason you would go on the AP itself is if the AP de-registers from the WLC but then the console output of the AP is more interesting.

Mixing autonomous and lightweight is no big problem if you accept the following consequences :

-your autonomous network is perceived as rogue by the WLC.

-there is no fast roaming possible between IOS and lightweight APs.

-The channel and power assignement algorithm of the WLC will not be able to take the IOS APs into account and will thus come with a less than effective decision.

Regards,

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Just want to let you know that the LWAP will display it's time in UTC (always).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card