cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Group configuration in Primary and Secondary WLC

mrmayanksaini
Level 1
Level 1

We have a setup with 2 Cisco 5508 WLC, both of them have Mobility group configuered with AP fallback enabled. I have configuered Primary and secondary controller in AP configuration in High Availability TAB.

Now we want to create AP group to broadcast 2 SSID at one of the production building as per user needs.

My query is that

1. while creating AP group in WLC, do i need to create AP group in both primary and secondary WLC ?

2 if i create AP group in both the 2 WLC then how will AP fall back in secondary WLC if primary fails since few AP remain in primary WLC in default group and other will be in newly configured AP group..

Please advise

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. while creating AP group in WLC, do i need to create AP group in both primary and secondary WLC ?

Yes you do, especially if the other WLC is for redundancy.

2 if i create AP group in both the 2 WLC then how will AP fall back in secondary WLC if primary fails since few AP remain in primary WLC in default group and other will be in newly configured AP group..

You need to to have the AP Groups and WLAN's setup the same on redundant WLC's. it doesn't matter what WLC they are in and what WLC they fail to, the AP gets its configuration from the WLC. So if the ap fails over to a WLC that doesn't have the ap group, then the AP gets put in the default group. However, if the other WLC comes back up and the ap moves over, the ap will stay in the default group because that's what it was placed in when it initially failed over. Keep everything the same and failover will be fine.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So, when i will be configuring AP group in my secondary WLC then, initially i can not add any AP manually into it. But if the primary WLC fails then all AP defined in AP group in  primary WLC will move to the secondary WLC in that defined AP group ?

Secondly,can i define 2 SSID ( one will be broadcasted and other will be non broadcasted ) in one AP group and bind them to corresponding interface ?

Yes... You only have to put the AP in the AP Group on one WLC, the AP will know what group it belongs to and will request that when it fails over to another WLC.

-Scott

Thanks Scott..I have a activity schedule to deploy the above 2 changes on that..Thanks for your advise

Well let me know how it goes.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: