Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP Grouping configuration

Infrastructure:

we have 3000 access point spread across 15 buildings,
we have 15 WiSMs (3no.s of 6509 controllers) catering those AP's from central locations,

we have 350 AP's in one building (3 floors) and in some 200 AP's(2 floors),
planning for ACS with EAP-FAST implementation.

Requirement:
I want to use /24 subnet for AP's as well as for WLAN Clients.
clients should have /24 subnet only

I know about the AP grouping concept and I read some document aswell on the cisco site, but in those documents didn't help me much for AP Grouping VLAN and  external DHCP configuration (Client)

Could anyone help me in configuring the AP grouping with external DHCP server for clients /24 subnet IP's.

Everyone's tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: AP Grouping configuration

I want to use /24 subnet for AP's

we have 350 AP's in one building (3 floors) and in some 200 AP's(2 floors),

You'll have to have /24 subnet per floor which is very possible.  Your switch will have multiple VLANs and each VLAN has it's own /24 subnet per floor.  Or if you enable L3 switching per floor you can use the same VLANs but have different subnet range.

clients should have /24 subnet only

What if the number of users (per floor) exceed this?  Loosen up a bit to, say, /23.

I know about the AP grouping concept and I read some document aswell on the cisco site, but in those documents didn't help me much

How many SSIDs do you have?        AP Groups is beneficial if you have a number of SSIDs and, say, Building 1 will broadcast only SSID 1, SSID 3, SSID 9.  Building 2 will broadcast SSID 1, SSID 2 and SSID4.  Yadda, yadda, yadda ...

Cisco Employee

You need to seriously look at a design of this scale.

First refer to the wlc best practice documents and mobility design guide.

Cisco recomend about 100 aps per subnet so you could use /25 addresses per floor.

I wouldn't go to /23 for clients as you get too large a collision domain.

Also look at seperating monility groups to help aleviate some of the cpu utilisation, setup a mobility group per building.

AP groups could help with load balancing as its a very large scale implementation there are alot of things to consider.

Thanks for your reply,

My Switch working as L2 in buildings and L3 only in Datacenter location.

I am Planning to use 8 SSID's,

As a best practice from Cisco 100 AP's per subnet, I would like to go with AP grouping configuration, now I would like to know how to configure clients with /24 subnet, (external DHCP Server), if you have any sample configuration steps kindly share the same, or give me idea about how to configure /24 subnet for clients.

in the WiSM I am configuring AP grouping 90 access point to one group, 150 access point to one group, remaining in the other group.

Now since I have only 3 AP group and I want to configure /24 clients keeping max. 20 users per access point. how to configure the client IP address.

Thanks for your reply,

My Switch working as L2 in buildings and L3 only in Datacenter location.

I am Planning to use 8 SSID's,

As a best practice from Cisco 100 AP's per subnet, I would like to go with AP grouping configuration, now I would like to know how to configure clients with /24 subnet, (external DHCP Server), if you have any sample configuration steps kindly share the same, or give me idea about how to configure /24 subnet for clients.

in the WiSM I am configuring AP grouping 90 access point to one group, 150 access point to one group, remaining in the other group.

Now since I have only 3 AP group and I want to configure /24 clients keeping max. 20 users per access point. how to configure the client IP address.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

how to configure the client IP address.

DHCP

Thanks for reply,

I need to know the steps to configure external DHCP server (Windows), as my requirement is /24 subnet for clients.

how to or Where to configure multiple DHCP scope on a single AP group.

Thanks in advance

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content