Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP joining old controller even after reset

Hi,

I've two sets of WLCs and I'm trying to move some APs from one group to others. To do this, I've a script that executes an hardware reset on AP via the WLC cli. it works fine and ı've resetted over several thousands(seriously) of APs lately by it. It is the same as clicking the "hardware reset" on the GUI anyway.

One problem is, some APs don't get resetted but get just a restart instead. I'm fine with it as I can keep track of those anyway and interviene manually on such cases.

Still, the real problem is, some of the manually resetted (via "clear capwap/lwapp private-config" commands from AP cli) APs act weird.

problem 1-

Some of these APs insist on joining the old controller even after cli reset.so, why would a "clear capwap/lwapp private-config" command would fail to reset an AP?

problem 2-

some of these APs first join a new controller but after a while I see them on the old controllers again. So, the question is; Why would a newly resetted, already associated AP go leave its current controller and join its older controller that is clearly not in the same mobility group and not distributed via DNS CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER records? (we'r using DNS for discovery and I'm 100% positive that the DNS settings are pointing to the right controllers. I can  see it on the AP as well when I ping the capwap-cisco dns record and I've also confirmed the mobility group configs) After  a reset, I even see the AP join a right controller, get the right mobility group, but than after sometime its back on its old controller as if I've never resetted it!

any ideas would be welcome

Regards,

A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

This is because WLC will keep all previously learnt controller information in its NVRAM. Even you deleted the config it will not remove memory of previously learn WLCs.

If you want to permenently remove these from AP you have to do this.

LAP#debug capwap console cli

LAP#erase /all nvram

Once you do this it will have no previously registered WLC information & will go to newly learn WLC. Even in this case there is a chance it can go for another controller if you have multiple controllers in a mobility domain. You can configure primary controller on these APs so it will always go for that controller even multiple controller available. You can configure this GUI or CLI.

Here is how you do it on AP CLI

LAP#capwap ap primary-base

Here is how you do it on WLC CLI

(WLC) >config ap primary-base

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

6 REPLIES
VIP Purple

This is because WLC will keep all previously learnt controller information in its NVRAM. Even you deleted the config it will not remove memory of previously learn WLCs.

If you want to permenently remove these from AP you have to do this.

LAP#debug capwap console cli

LAP#erase /all nvram

Once you do this it will have no previously registered WLC information & will go to newly learn WLC. Even in this case there is a chance it can go for another controller if you have multiple controllers in a mobility domain. You can configure primary controller on these APs so it will always go for that controller even multiple controller available. You can configure this GUI or CLI.

Here is how you do it on AP CLI

LAP#capwap ap primary-base

Here is how you do it on WLC CLI

(WLC) >config ap primary-base

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Why would a newly resetted, already associated AP go leave its current controller and join its older controller that is clearly not in the same mobility group and not distributed via DNS CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER records?

Not enough info with our posts:

1.  The number of supported APs - Maybe the AP count has been exceeded.

2.  Supported firmware - Maybe you have an old AP and the software is supported on the old WLC.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: AP joining old controller even after reset

You really don't need to do what you are doing. The best way to do this is to just configure the high availability WLC on the access point to the new WLC name (case sensitive) and the IP address. You can also add a secondary or tertiary if you want, but there is no reason to reset the ap to do what you want to do. The ap will obtain its configuration from the new WLC. The reason why your process didn't work is just what Rasika mentioned and like Leo mentioned, you need to verify what he has asked. Moving AP's is best done when the wlc's are on the same code, because we will assume the basic is done, including connectivity and license.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Mostly it is seen this thing happening.

1. If the AP was registered to the old controller previously.

2. If the old controller is the master controller.

3. If the old controller is having the most capacity to register AP.

I agree to Basant and these are the root causes of the issue.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Apperantly, some of the AP's had issues with their flash drives and reporting errors when trying to delete their configs. (but our script was not expecting such errors)

Still, the best way to have such an effect is Rasika's I believe. We resetted over 2 thousand APs in a week ( and did that 3 times until now) thus and "manuel" option like using HA config is not really appropriate for us.  Anyway, thanks a lot for all your responses, all are highly appriciated and sorry for my late reply.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content