Cisco Support Community
Community Member

AP not getting ip address assigned.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my AIR-AP1041N-E-K9, i do not seem to get an ip-address assigned after a reset to factory defaults.

I do see the AP with CDP:

Device-ID: ap

Advertisement version: 2

Platform: cisco AIR-AP1041N-E-K9

Capabilities: TransBridge IGMP

Interface: gi5, Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime: 163

Version: Cisco IOS Software, C1040 Software (C1140-K9W7-M), Version 12.4(25d)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support:

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 15000 milliwatts

SysObjectID: 0.0

unknown addres

So that should mean that layer 2 connectivity is fine.

I have the AP connected to a cisco SG300 switch,and assigned  switchport trunk allowed vlan's: 1,3,4,8.

Can someone help me?

Message was edited by: Menno Hogenbirk I also noticed that when i connect to the AP via console-cable, i can see the AP boot up in the console session, but then i do not get a login prompt, but it seems like the AP is responding; if i shutdown the interconnecting link between the switch and the AP, i do see log messages appearing in the console-connection. I have tried to debug on the Switch, but i need a password, so i can debug, which i do not have.,

Community Member

AP not getting ip address assigned.

Can you pls. suggest - How are you getting the IP address ? Via DHCP server ?

Is it a Light weight AP or standalone ?

incase you are using the switch as a DHCP server, then pls. check if your switch is releasing the IP or not.

As per your note above - You can see the AP in CDP neighbor, it means the Layer 2 is up. Check if the switch is reachable to the DHCP server.

Community Member

Re: AP not getting ip address assigned.

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I'm should be getting my ip via DHCP(as i believed that this is the way that the AP searches for an ip, when it has no config yet). The DHCP-server is configured on a cisco 871 router that is connected to the switch, as i found no option to configure it on my switch, which is in layer 3 mode. The DHCP-pool is assigned to the vlan(native) 1 address-range(in this case 192.168.0.x/24). I also have configured a range for my workstations, and here i do get Ip-addresses assigned.

The AP does not connect to a Wireless controller. Also i have checked my inter-vlan routing on my switch, and i have connectivity to all vlans, so i believe my AP should have connectivity to the DHCP-server configured on the router.

Ping-test from switch shows no issues:

Pinging with 18 bytes of data:

18 bytes from icmp_seq=1. time=0 ms
18 bytes from icmp_seq=2. time=0 ms
18 bytes from icmp_seq=3. time=0 ms
18 bytes from icmp_seq=4. time=0 ms

---- PING Statistics----
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/0/0

Message was edited by: Menno Hogenbirk Problem has been resolved.

CreatePlease to create content