Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP1100 Repeater mode. Radio only ?

I know that the AP1100 can work in repeater mode, so to extend coverage where cable can't be laied. What i really think would be great is to make the AP1100 work in repeater mode trought the wired interface without wasting radio bandwith !!

Any thougts on this ? Can it be done ?

6 REPLIES

Re: AP1100 Repeater mode. Radio only ?

If I understood your question, I think wireless Bridge (BR350) does that.

Well, i'm stuck with the AP1100. My problem, is that i often have clients jumping over the AP's, and lossing connectivity for some time, since they have to re-register with most strong AP signal.

Any way to do this "on the fly" and i really mean that, like if i walk around the campus with my laptop doing a download, can i jump between AP's without breaking the download ?

Thanks for your time.

I'm not clear on the original post, but to the question about roaming between APs, you can do this. A couple of points for consideration include having sufficient overlapping coverage by the APs. 15% overlap is considered sufficiet for the hand-off between APs. Each AP will also need to be on the same subnet. In a campus environment, this may mean configuring VLANs across your switches to support the APs being in the same subnet.

All of that was already done. Our entire network is CISCO based. We have done the Site Survey and configured a new VLAN on the campus to suporte the subnet on wich the AP's relly.

The AP's have 2 VLAN's, one for management and other for generall traffic.

We have draw some conclusions and i think that the main problem, is that if i'm connected to AP#1 and move to AP#2, the mac from my wirelless card stays assigned to the switch on wich AP#1 is connected. I've tried to set the ARP TIMEOUT option on our router to a lower value (5 secs) but all i got was a general slow down on the network (as espected) but the roaming is still taking to long.

By the way, we have also a Solaris 8 box giving out DHCP service to clientes.

Everytime a client roams, it is given a diferent ip address.

I've thought on configuring mobile ip. Maybe this will help ?

Finally, sorry for the long message, and thanks again for your time.

Are you referring to the APs being configured with different VLANs or the switch port the APs are connected to as having seperate VLANs.

The fact your DHCP server is handing out different IP addresses suggests that your APs are in different subnets. In order for the traffic to be passed along between APs requires the APs be on the same subnet (created using VLANs on the switch).

AP's are connected to switch over 802.1Q Trunk...

=========snip

interface FastEthernet0/22

description ApAz01-Atrio Entrada

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

rmon collection stats 23 owner "root@netwatcher-g1 [1030361339652]"

!

=========snip

and AP's also have BVI's configured to accept only 2 vlans (our internal restricted management only-no DHCP here) and another one for general use by WI-FI cards (DHCP only gives out ip's here).

=====snip

interface FastEthernet0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface FastEthernet0.29

encapsulation dot1Q 29

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 29