Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Ap1141n-Want only 802.11n, no 802.11g connects & speed

Have a Ap1141n running in Standalone AP mode. It is not running via a WLAN controller.

How to I set it up to only accept connection from 802.11n clients. I don't want any 802.11g clients making it slow down to 54g speed. Which brings up another queston, how do I set it up to do possible 150meg  connects that are possible with 11n?

Been searching around internet and cisco.com and nothing is jumping out at me.  would love to have someone's "sanatized" config file.

I have setup the the 1141 series with A/B/G radio's before, but this thing has got me stumped.

Thanks

Everyone's tags (2)
10 REPLIES

Ap1141n-Want only 802.11n, no 802.11g connects & speed

First, I don't belive that it's supported for 'N' only at this time, you still need to have at least the 54M rate as supported.  But you can disable all the lower rates and only leave 54 enabled.

As to the second question, to achieve the N rates, you need the SSID to be configured for WPA2/AES or open.  No WPA/TKIP, no WEP etc.  Also WMM needs to be enabled, which it should be by default.

With the above you should be able to get up to 144Mbps on the 2.4GHz, and if you bond the 5GHz you can get up to 300M

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Re: Ap1141n-Want only 802.11n, no 802.11g connects & speed

So this 1141N will do higher than 54meg speeds with 1 radio? 

Understood about disable <54meg speed.

What about using WPA2 enterprise (radius authentication) can I use that and acheive >54meg speeds

Bronze

Since the 1140 access point is an N access point it will be able to do higher data rates then 54 on either the A radio or G radio meanwhile you have wpa version 2 with AES enable or no encryption at all and also that the wireless client supports N.

if the wireless clients do not support N then they will only be able to work at 54mbps if from where the wireless client is located the signal qulity is good and distance to support 54 mbps if not it will not connect since you have disable the lower data rates.

Bronze

Correct, as mention above what you can do is leave 54 as required and all the n data rates enabl and with this the wireless clients would br able to work from 54mbps all the way to te max n data rate enable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

what are the "N" data rates?

Got an example of a config with 54 and > data rates only?

in the config the 'N' (MCS) rates show as m0 - m15.

Yes, you can use 802.1x, so long as you are set for WPA2/AES.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Bronze

The N data rates are:

m0. , m1. , m2. , m3. , m4. , m5. , m6. , m7. , m8. , m9. , m10. , m11. , m12. ,  m13. , m14. , m15.

Here is a config example from an ap with no configuration at all, just all data rates disable on the G radio and with 54mbps as required and N enable.

!
version 12.4
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname AP1142AG.246
!
enable secret 5 $1$LaFK$M1UNnyzJvTKn4e/NmiXBJ0
!
no aaa new-model
!
!
dot11 syslog
!
!
username Cisco password 7 062506324F41
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
 antenna gain 0
 speed  basic-54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.
 station-role root
 bridge-group 1
 bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
 bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
 no bridge-group 1 source-learning
 no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
 antenna gain 0
 dfs band 3 block
 channel dfs
 station-role root
 bridge-group 1
 bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
 bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
 no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
!
interface GigabitEthernet0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 no keepalive
 bridge-group 1
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0
 no ip route-cache
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
 login local
!
end

With this setup the AP will tell the allow the wireless clients to connect to the Ap if the connection is good for at least 54mbps or higher

Want to make sure everyone is aware I have the 1141N with only 1 radio. My 1141 isn't an A/B/G/N, but just a N/G single raido.

So I don't need to send these back and get the 1142N's eh?

I can get 54meg > speeds with this single radio 1141N.? Saw somewhere it was mentioned I needed a dual radio 1142n to get >54meg speeds achieved by "bonding" up the two radio's. Yes/no?

Thanks

Yes you will still get N rates. That ap has two transmitters and three receivers for the 2.4GHz radio.

Bonding is when you group two channels together and can only be done on the 5GHz radio

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Bronze

Hi,

just in case the 1140 is an N access point, the only difference between one model of the other is that it can be supplied with both the 2.4ghz radio (B/G) or the 5GHZ radio (A)

Here is the link for the ordering guide of the 1140 where you can check on the different part numbers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/datasheet_c78-502797.html

On the A radio and the B/G radio you can support from 1mbps up to 54mbps, and since it is N you can get the N data rates to work also.

Views
Helpful
Replies