Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP1142n, VLANs and MDNS/Bonjour/Zeroconf

Hi,

I have a fairly simple network set up at the moment:

• Cisco Catalyst 2970G managed switch (WS-C2970G-24TS-E)
  • Cisco Aironet 1140 Series standalone dual-radio access point (AIR-AP1142N-E-K9)
  • Two Linux servers (both GbE -> 2970G)
    • Wolf - 10.0.0.1
    • Syrys - 10.0.0.3 or 10.100.0.1 (two IPs on the same interface)
  • One Mac Mini (GbE -> 2970G)
  • A networked printer (GbE again -> 2970G)
  • A Macbook Pro and a Linux laptop (WiFi -> AP1142N)

IP addresses are allocated in the 10.0.0.0/8 network (although one of the servers routes to a cable modem in the 192.168.1.x block)

I have one SSID on the WiFi, and everything works fine - the iPad can see the printer,

What I'd like to do is set up a second SSID to forward all traffic to one of the servers. I tried configuring this and the access point web configuration told me I needed to set up a VLAN. Given that the switch's default VLAN was 1 and all the ports were set as access ports to that, I set up VLAN 1 and two SSIDs.

The Macbook then re-associated with the AP and could no longer see any MDNS traffic - it lost access to the Mac Mini. The iPad also reassociated and completely refused to acknowledge the existence of the printer.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that mDNS packets were present on the wired Ethernet, but not the WiFi.

After turning off multiple SSIDs and removing the VLAN configurations from the access point, everything worked fine again.

Is there any way I can do what I want -- that is:

Have one (WPA2-encrypted) pointing to the LAN (the "trusted" network) including MDNS/Bonjour

Also have a second "guest" SSID which forwards all traffic to Server 2 on 10.100.0.1 (or alternatively links to a VLAN).

My current config files (with passwords etc. replaced with "***REDACTED***") are:

2970G: https://www.dropbox.com/s/09rhg51gz87asco/c2970.txt

1142N: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c74exm86i9woxk9/c1142n.txt

Thanks,

Phil.    

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content