cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1220B upgraded radio w/ module AIR-MP21G-A-K9

steckmanj
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to change out the AIR-MP20 (802.11b) module with the 21 (802.11g).

With the new module installed, IOS is discovering the 802.11G device correctly but is unable to load the associated firmware file (flash:5501.img).

I've browsed through a dozen or more IOS releases for the c1200 and there is always a 5001.img and 5101.img but I have yet to find a 5501.

I've attempted to reload several different IOS builds and they all fail with the same error

%DOT11-2-NO_FIRMWARE: Interface Dot11Radio0, no radio firmware file (flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-.JEA/5501.img) was found

%DOT11-2-NO_FIRMWARE: Interface Dot11Radio0, no radio firmware file (flash:/5501.img) was found

9 Replies 9

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

How did you load the IOS?

Did you use the WebGUI, or did you use the CLI with the ARCHIVE command?

If you just TFTP'd the files over, that won't work. ARCHIVE extracts the tarball from the host PC into the correct directories on the AP.

Let us know

Scott

Should have described a little more...sorry.

Yes, I did an archive download and let the 1200 extract it.

Non of the archives I've DLed actually contain the 5501.img file that the AP keeps asking for.

-edit

I've tried archives from all the AP's (350,100, 1230/40) and neither of them contain this 5501.img

Thanks in advance

I too am having this EXACT same problem. Is there anyone else there that can help us. OP - if you managed to solve this problem please PM me or reply to this port. Any help greatly appreciated!

What IOS are you using? I think you have to revert to an earlier IOS in order to install a new g radio...The 1220's were around three years ago and that JEA version of code was not.

Remember this is Cisco...

I'm using 12.3.8-JEA(GD). The thing is, I've checked almost all IOS releases for the 1220B and none of the TAR files contain the 5501.img file the radio card is looking for. Do I have to revert back to the Vx software?

Is there anyone out there running an AP1220B with 801.11b/g mini pci radio on IOS?

Any Cisco techs that can help?

I've downloaded pretty much every available IOS download possible for 350's, 1100's, 1200's, 1230's and no luck with that .img

;/

The only thing Cisco says is that the message you recieved indicates the wrong firmware was loaded for the device you are using.

I would open a TAC case and see what they say

gonna take a stab at this again....

Is it possible that there are different firmware's for the different 21G-a/j (america, japan, ...)?

I had ordered the g-a-k9, but it didn't have the RM-21G-A-K9 sticker on it like all the modules I have seen have. After I returned it and ordered another from a more reliable vendor (with smartnet contract), I received one with the markings on it and it instantly worked without asking for firmware.

Absolutely! If you received a radio built for Japan, Europe, etc...this would be a problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card