Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP1231 - double antennas

Can the AIR-AP1231G work with TWO external antenna for Diversity?

In the guides, Cisco is always talking about "single antenna or dual diversity antennas".

At a new client of my, I found some AP1231 each with TWO omnidirectional Antennas (AIR-ANT1728).

I tipically use or a single antenna or a "real" diversity (ANT5959, for example).

The global performances of the wireless clients are very poor and I have to investigate in the next weeks.

But I fear that this choice of the antennas is not the correct.

Claudio

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AP1231 - double antennas

Hello Sir,

Absolutely, you can have either two separate antennas or only one antenna with two connectors and the access point will provide diversity. Actually the antenna with two connectors is actually a bundle of two antennas in one single peace.

For diversity to work as expected should have the exact model of antenna on both connectors and providing coverage to the same area; otherwise the clients will always prefer the one with best coverate and that is not the idea.

You can see more information about this here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008019f646.shtml

I hope this helps.

Marco Gonzalez

2 REPLIES

AP1231 - double antennas

Hello Sir,

Absolutely, you can have either two separate antennas or only one antenna with two connectors and the access point will provide diversity. Actually the antenna with two connectors is actually a bundle of two antennas in one single peace.

For diversity to work as expected should have the exact model of antenna on both connectors and providing coverage to the same area; otherwise the clients will always prefer the one with best coverate and that is not the idea.

You can see more information about this here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008019f646.shtml

I hope this helps.

Marco Gonzalez

AP1231 - double antennas

Hi Claudio,

Two antennas can be installed without a problem. 1230 and 1240 APs are usually installed with two antennas on each radio (for diversity).

What I don't know is if the antenna type that is being used with your AP is supported to work with this model.

The AP datasheet unfortunately is not mentioning anything about supporting antenna types.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content